What is your practice in using Hook?

For me, right now I use Things as a hub. Each task or project is Hooked with related files (in Finder), apps (Drafts, Spark, etc) and links (from the web). When I’m doing a particular task, I invoke Hook to open other things.

How about you? How do you use Hook?

1 Like

I prefer using Drafts as a hub. I don’t like Things for that because I can’t hide the check boxes.

2 Likes

I plan my next day with Things3.app, then hook Things3 item with text blocks in Craft.app’s daily notes, in Craft.app, I record my activities during a day, and write notes with backlinks, if some resource out of Craft needed, I’ll hook them with Craft, and it’s really handy. Basically I use Craft as my processing and logging center, since it’s daily notes is really useful and are orgnized by timeline, I can orgnize all my materials and to-dos without worrying forgetting something. Actually orgnize notes and resources by timeline might be an essential way when you need to jump across many knid of files&documents.

3 Likes

This concept of a hub is a key one for me. Where this used to be the Finder, increasingly it’s become DEVONthink Pro/To Go. I also like the light touch of Drafts Pro, though, for text-only notes — which is the bulk of what I generate, though they get archived in DEVONthink eventually. While OmniFocus Pro is central to my task management, I also have extensive project dashboards set up in Numbers (integrating time tracking, invoicing, and — this is where Hook Pro comes in — links back out to everything else (OmniFocus folders & projects, DEVONthink groups, Cardhop cards, OmniPlan files, MailMate smart mailboxes, Drafts workspaces & drafts, websites, other spreadsheets, etc.).

So I don’t really use .hook files. It’s mainly cross-linking between documents with visible links (in Drafts, in OmniFocus tasks’ notes fields, in Numbers cells, as DEVONthink bookmarks).

1 Like

I struggle to find the right combo of software that works with multiple Apple IDs. For example, I have a personal and business Apple ID, which creates many barriers. For instance, Drafts 5. I also use Logseq, and it does not currently support Hook.

I hear Craf is excellent but does not support Zero Knowledge or encryption.

I use a similar method to the others who have posted, DEVONthink for file management, Drafts for managing quick notes and sometimes projects, Things for tasks, Apple Calendar, and Ulysses for long writing/publishing.

I currently use these platforms that Hook does not work with. I am interested in learning how others have replaced or found a workaround for the platforms listed below.

• Raindrop.io (Link Management)
  • Zotero (References)
  • Logseq (knowledge Management)
  • Note taking: Craft
  • Temporary text processing: Drafts
  • Reference manager: Zotero (you can just hook PDFs but not Zotero items)
  • Web links collect: GoodLinks
  • PDF reader: Skim
  • Coding: VSCode
  • To-do: Things3
  • RSS: NetNewsWire

All the above apps support Hook.app, hope can help you :relieved:

1 Like

I’m sure you know this, @EdwardDarrah . But for others reading this I will note that on the Mac side, Hook offers two forms of sync: one for iCloud one using a user-chosen folder. That means one can use Hook for Mac with multiple iCloud identities. We’ll publish information about the iPhone and iPad soon.

1 Like

Is it possible for Hook.app comes to iOS/iPadOS this year? :thinking:

1 Like

Our iOS/iPad software is in TestFlight and coming out of beta soon.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Do you mind sharing how you Hook Zotero items?

It’s not usable in Zotero 6, I don’t hook Zotero items even when they works because PDFs is always more reliable, when you need to replace the reference manager, you can just move your PDFs to the new manager, and the hook tags always inside PDFs.

Sounds great! It would be awesome if I can open “hook://” links on my iPhone/iPad :star_struck:

Actually I want to avoid link a whole PDF file, even with deep-link to a specific page. Because it’s kinda difficult to do things after that. I implement Zettelkasten instead.

Which form of Zettelkasten do you use?

I’m confused; do you use two reference managers? Why would I move stuff out of Zotero? Can you give me an example of the workflow and other platforms your using? From my understanding, Bookends supports Hook and allows for being indexed in DEVONthink. I was thinking of switching or finding a workflow to use Zotero and Bookends.

Do you know if there are any Zotero add-ons for text-to-speech?

Thanks for clarifying. When you “replace the reference manager.” Where do you move the data to? And are the Hooks still preserved?

Back to the broad use questions, I’m still working out a workflow with Hook. I think my biggest issue is that I don’t trust Hook. So, I find myself copying deep links to various documents, and then pasting those links into various DevonThink documents, and then also “hooking” them to each other. I got in the habit of manually running the AppleScript to tag DevonThink items with the “hook” tag before the menubar indicator arrived, so I’m still doing that. Which is to say, there’s quite a bit of redundancy/duplication in how I’m using Hook.

More broadly, I’m using BetterTouchTool as a way to nudge myself into remembering that Hook exists. I created BTT Touch Bar shortcuts for DevonThink copy page link and copy item link, which helped with the specificity of interconnection I find increasingly important, and have added a “Hook” item to the TouchBar as well, which just invokes the Hook contextual window.

I use Zotero, and sync my library of PDFs via Box. The new Zotero 6 PDF reader isn’t doing it for me (yet), so I use Preview or the DevonThink reader for highlights and annotations, which are preserved across devices (and occasionally PDF Viewer on iOS). I don’t trust Zotero, either, so when writing I copy and paste citations manually using Alfred workflows (for a while I tried Raycast, but am now back to Alfred again).

For my last few articles, I used Scrivener as sort of a middle step between the “stuff” that got ingested wholesale into DevonThink and the final written product I would compose in Word. I’d organize thoughts and materials with Scrivener in ways that made argumentative/narrative sense for each project. For my current book project, I’m using Obsidian vaults (themselves indexed into DevonThink) for the middle step, and Hook is proving very helpful at making the DT/Obsidian connections meaningfully visible, so I don’t miss things as I move half-baked prose into Word.

@lutefish
Hello, thanks for sharing your workflow.

Do you mind sharing an example of how you’re using Scrivener? Also, why do you prefer to write in Word instead of Scrivener or Ulysses?

I w to use Scrivener, but I feel as if I have a ton of writing appsalrwdy, I’m having a hard time justify adding another software.

The big advantage I see is that it works across Mac and a Windows, which Ulysses.

@EdwardDarrah Scrivener is crazily complex, which in some ways is useful, and in other ways I found burdensome/unnecessary. One real issue for me was footnotes: Scrivener just wasn’t able to insert/number/renumber, and display (which required a side pane, if I recall) in ways that worked for me, and it wasn’t worth the fuss.

What I did find useful was the “scrivenings” - basically index cards, represented in a folder hierarchy, that could be re-ordered, but in the main window could be presented as continuous text. Transclusion in Obsidian/markdown offers some similarities. Ultimately, I was using the hierarchy of index cards more as a shorthand for outlining than I was for re-organizing sections of prose. Before Hook, I used the deep links of DevonThink/Scrivener to stay organized, but Hook is useful for broadening that proposition beyond those two apps.

My work is all in the humanities, so Word docs are essentially the default expectation for my field, whether track changes for my work as an editor, or final submissions to journals and presses, so I gave up fighting against Word years ago.

1 Like

My main use of Hook is to quickly grab URLs to share with other members in my team, or to paste into Obsidian.

My secondary use is to quickly bounce between OmniFocus (from either Projects or Tasks), Obsidian (markdown files used for reference/notes) and JIRA (hooked to a work item’s URL where I can leaves comments for my team). Hook speeds up navigation between items that are related to each particular work item, so I’m using it “as intended” in this sense.

I used to creates hooks via the Hook context window, but I now use the keyboard shortcuts to Copy Link and Hook to Copied Link, as it’s a lot quicker, and using these shortcuts helped me to actually understand and use Hook a lot better.

Only recently I’ve realised that I can search all Hook bookmarks, as Hook contains lots of relevant links from across all work items, which I achieve via Alfred Workflow for Hook - this gets an occasional use when I am looking for something I’ve hooked somewhere. That is a fast as invoking Alfred, typing hm and then the item I am searching for.

1 Like