Synchronization between several machines

Hello,

I discovered Hook yesterday and I’m already a fan! :heart_eyes:

I fully agree some suggestions/bugs that have already been reported:

• Another request for creating a “mesh” of links
  • Selecting multiple files generates a link to a folder

I come with a new suggestion (I don’t think it has been proposed).

Usually, I use two computers and it would be really great to be able to synchronize Hook between several machines. For example, I would like the Hook links created on my iMac to be reusable on my MBP and vice versa.

Some files are synchronized (NextCloud) directly on both machines. In this case, the storage space is provided by my university.

To make this thing more delicate (sorry!), another case involves the use of pCloud where many documents are stored. On one machine, I have the data synchronized and on the other, I access it via the “pCloud Drive” (https://www.pcloud.com/help/drive-help-center/what-is-pcloud-drive).

Best regards,
Jérémie

Ps: If you need help translating Hook into French, I can help you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Merci beaucoup pour toutes ses suggestions, Jérémie!
Synchronization is on our product road map. I’ve aded NextCloud and pCloud to the requirements.

We’ll address the multiple file selection issue too.

I have a set of enhancements on the map that should handle mesh-linking as a special case, also on the product road map. We’ll say more about it some time after the launch.

Many aussi pour l’offre d’aide de traduction! J’accepte avec gratitude :). Mon français est québecois et un peu rouillé. J’espère commencer ce travail au printemps.

1 Like

Another upvote for cross-machine synchronization, recognizing this is a very difficult problem (what happens if a link is to an object that exists on one machine but not on another?).

I hope the implementation can be relatively agnostic as to the underpinnings of the sync service, so that many are supported - eg Resilio, SynologyDrive, Sync.com, box, etc…

1 Like

A late follow-up to this thread – we published some documentation late spring:
Using Hook on Multiple Macs – Hook

Automatic syncing Hook-data between Macs is one of our top current development projects.

@LucB - Hello! Do you have an estimate for when syncing between Macs would be available? Not having this is blocking me from fully diving into Hook, I jump between Macs too often during the day.

I’ve been exploring an option involving third party sync utilities but that route would come with its own headaches. I’d love to avoid that if official support is planned for sooner than later!

Thanks for asking @jmbrysk . One of our developers is currently working on it; but unfortunately I can’t be specific about the ETA – there are several factors involved. But I can say it is a priority.

We expect to release 1.2 in near future with enhancements, but they are not directly related to syncing.

I’m very sorry I can’t be more precise right now.

2 Likes

No worries, I appreciate the quick response!

Sorry for the long delay. It’s a long story. But it’s in public beta in Hook version 1.4 (3143) . To be clear, 1.4 is not beta software. It’s just the sync tab/function that is presented as beta.

Our co-founder, Brian, came up with the design and implemented it. (It had been ready for testing for a quite a while but it took us a long time to be able to get to it.) I’m delighted with his work. From the user’s perspective the sync functionality in Hook looks very simple. I find it quite elegant. I hope you will enjoy it too.