Hook version 1.4 (3143) is now available (with Sync in public beta)

Hook 1.4 (3143) is now available as an in-app update and from Hook’s download page.

Version 1.4 of Hook introduces significant changes to Hook’s database. In particular, you might not be able to return to a previous version of Hook, except from a backup of your pre 1.4 library folder. So if you think you might want to revert to Hook 1.3.3, please make backup Hook’s database folder before proceeding with Hook 1.4. (We do not see any benefit in rolling back from 1.4, however.)

What’s new in 1.4

Hook supplies the missing links between your precious information. Now, Hook syncs them too!

This version of Hook (1.4) introduces, in public Beta, a frequently requested feature, Hook link syncing between Macs.

This version also includes several other enhancements, bug fixes and new or updated integration with your favorite apps.

This document also contains discount coupons for EagleFiler and Trickster, with which Hook is compatible

Introduction of Sync Beta

You can configure link synchronization in Hook’s Preferences window’s new Sync tab. The Sync tab clearly marks the feature as beta. (Hook 1.4 itself is not beta.) Syncing is disabled by default. If you choose to turn on this feature, please be sure to backup your Hook library folder before proceeding. See How to Backup and Restore Hook Data.

In conjunction with sync services or media of your choice, this feature allows you to sync your Hook links between Macs. So if you link two items on one Mac, the links will be available on your other Macs. Delete a link on one Mac, and it will be deleted from your synced Macs.

How it works

When you activate Hook syncing, Hook copies your links to a folder that you have chosen (on the Sync tab); Hook incorporates the links from that folder into its (local) database. This folder can be shared dynamically between your macs (e.g., using a cloud service, shared network volume, or peer-to-peer tech), or sequentially (for example, the chosen sync folder can reside in an external drive or disk image that you swap between Macs). Hook is agnostic about the technology underlying its Sync folder, meaning you can use any folder that is accessible from the Finder on which Hook is running.

The feature does not, of course, sync the linked items (e.g., the emails that you have linked are not Synced by Hook itself).

Hook’s synchronization is designed in accordance with Hook’s ethos. It has a very simple user interface. It does not involve CogSci Apps servers. The feature does not replace your favorite apps or services; it works with them. You are in control. You choose how the Sync folder is shared between Macs.

For more information on Hook’s syncing, please read Sync Tab in Hook’s online documentation.

Other enhancements in Hook 1.4

Hook 1.4 sports the following additional enhancements.

• While navigating the network of links presented in Hook’s contextual window, links that you’ve previously traversed (in the current invocation of this window) will be presented in grey.
  • Hook now launches more rapidly.
  • You can now dismiss Hook’s splash screen by clicking its (new) OK button.
  • Hook now works better with gmail and Roam’s online note-taking service. The Hook window now presents only links from the specific Roam page.
  • “About Activating Your License” menu item is now hidden when the app is licensed.
  • In Hook’s Preferences > Scripts tab, we have renamed “New Document” to “New Item”. Also the description below the “Get Name” tab label has been modified slightly. The associated online help (accessible from the tab’s (?) button) has been updated.
  • If a .hook file contains a link to another .hook file, Hook will ignore it.

Bug fixes in Hook 1.4

Hook 1.4 fixes the following issues that were present in Hook 1.3.3.

• ⌘C now works even if the Preferences window is visible.
  • Typing { in Hook’s contextual window now selects links starting with {.
  • If an email message in Mail.app had no subject, the link name would be empty; now in that case the link name is the message URL (like MailMate). That way users can paste the link in RTF and HTML documents.
  • “Reveal File in Finder” in nvUltra (which is in private beta) no longer causes Hook to crash.
  • Recent links to Drafts and DEVONthink 3 items created via Link to New had spurious characters, and Reveal File in Finder in DEVONthink 3 could crash Hook.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause Hook to re-mount the Hook disk image, and thus to redisplay the license screen.
  • Fixed an issue that would cause (a) typing L in Hook’s contextual window when there is a link starting with L to focus Hook on the first linked item whose name starts with “L” (if any);
  • As a consequence, this issue is also fixed: that ⇧⌘L (“Link to Copied address”) could fail if there was an item starting with L.
  • Fixed some crashes.

New and updated integrations with your favorite apps in Hook 1.4

Hook 1.4 incorporates updates to Hook integration that were recently released through Hook’s script update server.

Discount coupons for EagleFiler and Trickster !

Good news regarding two great apps with which Hook is compatible!

• C-command software has shared a 20% off coupon for EagleFiler (HOOKAPP) that’s good until 2/17. You can buy EagleFiler directly with that coupon using this link.
  • Apparent Software, the developer of Trickster, has shared a coupon code with us for 10% off Trickster: https://sites.fastspring.com/apparentsoft/product/trickster?coupon=HOOK. It will be valid till February 17.

If you develop a great app with which Hook is compatible, nd wish to share a promo coupon (or discuss our showcase blog posts), please feel free to get in touch with us at hook@cogsciapps.com. And if your app lacks automation, now is a great time to provide automation so your users can link to and from your apps items.

Gratitude

Thanks to everyone for using and contributing to Hook !

The Hook disk image is packaged using DropDMG by C-Command Software software: The easy way to create and convert Mac disk images (.dmg files).

And thank you all for using Hook and spreading the word about it.

:blush:

2 Likes

Is there a reason not to use a folder in iCloud Drive for the Hook sync folder? For me it’s the obvious choice, but since it was not the default offered by v1.4 I wasn’t sure.

There’s no intended default choice. The folder could be anywhere in principle, so Hook doesn’t specifically try to predict.

As long as you find that iCloud Drive syncs reliably for you, it should be fine.

The reason I asked: over here, Hook proposed putting the sync file at the root of the data partition on the boot drive. It’s an odd place to put data for an application. And a place that would never sync to another machine by itself.

Thanks, @quorm, much appreciated. We’ll retest that and make sure that the default is a sensible location (such as your home directory).

I had some initial trouble syncing. The first system would sync, but then links weren’t syncing back.

By watching the count of files in the sync folder (I put it on iCloud, but also tested SynologyDrive) I think I’ve boiled it down to Hook only syncs when the Mac is connected to power. That seems like an odd choice. My work MBP is mostly tethered to my desk with power, but I often use my personal MBP without power connected.

welcome to the Hook Productivity Forum, @smarj , and thanks for investigating and reporting on this. I don’t see that in our internal design docs. But I know that we made sure to keep the CPU usage low on the sync background processes. Maybe we overshot that way. I’m waiting for an answer from @bshi on this. Meanwhile, I’m running some tests of that.

1 Like

I was able to replicate the issue with my main testing machine ( MacBook Pro 2017 running macOS 10.15.3 (19D76) ), and also found that after reconnecting power the links appeared.

Thanks again for reporting.