Switch to existing browser tab instead of opening new tab

If I select a web link from a list of related items in the Hook window, Hook opens the link in a new browser tab, regardless of whether the linked page is already open in another tab. It would be great if there was a way to get it to switch to that existing tab instead.

Hello @jrivett did you ever find a solution to this?
I am trying to use Hook to quickly switch from an app to another and stay within my context only and not the overall computer context which means I hook to safari quite a lot, including for google docs. Having duplicate isnā€™t ideal there.
@LucB do you have an idea of a workaround? If not for the whole of safari maybe just for Google docs?

Nope, never found a workaround. Iā€™m not sure if thereā€™s much that can be done from Hookā€™s end either.

1 Like

As Iā€™m sure you realize, but to put it in context: when you activate a http(s) link in Hook or just about any other app (e.g., a bookmark manager or email app), the app requests macOS to open the URL; macOS asks your default browser to open that link. The browser chooses what to do with the request. A browser could theoretically do what you suggest. There are many different browsers. Hook does not have a default browser setting.

Personally, I often use many different browsers at the same time. Most of the time, I too would like tab in which the corresponding web page is loaded (if any) to go to foreground (and hence that browser to go to foreground too).

For files, Hook has Reveal File in Finder. It also has Reveal Page in Pinboard (if Pinboard is enabled). A variant of the OP request could be ā€œReveal Resource in Browserā€. A generalized would be Reveal Resource in <App>.

An app that comes to mind that does related ā€˜routingā€™ of ā€˜open web URLā€™ requests is Choosy: A smarter default browser for macOS. It has several competitors. Some of them might have the logic that you are looking for.