Currently, PDF tools like PDFpen and Skim support Deep Linking to specific text in a PDF document. On the hand, other PDF tools like PDF Expert may be the preferred tool for reading PDF documents. However, tools like PDF Expert does not support Deep Linking yet. Therefore, is it possible to support setting a default PDF tool for the purpose of Deep Linking? Then the workflow may be as follows:
- One reads PDF documents in a preferred tool like PDF Expert and annotate and take notes there.
- If one wants to Deep Link to specific text in the PDF document, one uses another PDF tool like Skim for Deep Linking purpose.
- After reading, if one wants to navigate to a specific Deep Link, one may click the link, and it would go to the specific text in the set default PDF viewer for Deep Linking, e.g. Skim.
The main reason for not setting a default PDF viewer that supports Deep Linking system-wide is that the reading experience of such a PDF tool may not be desired. For this, it would be great if one can set a default PDF tool for Deep Linking purpose. There can be the following options for this purpose:
- One can set the system-default PDF tool for opening Deep Links.
- Instead, one can choose to set a PDF tool that is not system-default for opening Deep Links.