This is a request for feedback from the Hook user community regarding how to facilitate onboarding via the menu bar icon. ( “onboarding” meaning getting users accustomed to invoking the Hook productivity window and using its basic functions.
Yesterday, I updated the Getting Started – web page.
We’re considering various ways to facilitate onboarding, such as:
- add an onboarding wizard (after 1.0 “golden master”),
- create new tutorial videos and use case videos,
- improve the getting started document (add screenshots) (FYI, I updated that yesterday),
- improve the help, and
- referring to the Hook window as an “input window” (I’ve resisted this for multiple reasons, but we’re open to it) or as “the Hook popup window” (a name we already sometimes use).
In thinking about onboarding, we recognize that there are different types of users. In particular, users who have used a launcher before (like LaunchBar or Alfred) are accustomed to invoking a popup window that they quickly dismiss. (There is also of course a Spotlight popup window.) We need to help users understand that Hook is like this (whether they have used a popup app before or not). (The popup window is the main way of using Hook.)
Users are initially drawn to Hook’s persistent UI presence, i.e., Hook’s menu bar icon. Currently, the menu bar window’s title bar has a Hook logo via which users can access the Hook popup window. But the icon does not look clickable, and it’s left-aligned, which requires some travel. And there’s no tooltip re the keyboard shortcut.
To facilitate onboarding, We are considering the following changes to Hook’s menu bar window’s title bar:
- Left-aligned: Hook logo followed by “Hook” name mark (the one that’s currently on the left, and the one that is currently centred, respectively),
- Centered: A new button + a label indicating the keyboard shortcut.
- Right: same buttons as now.
The keyboard shortcut label would go away after the user has invoked the Hook window via keyboard shortcut a number of times.
Sound like a good solution?
(Some of the constraints for this window involve features that we will later discuss in our product road map documentation. I will try to share a mockup once our UI/UX/graphic artist provides feedback.)
Thanks for your input