Hook integration scripts v. 139 now available — Initial support for Obsidian!

Version 139 of Hook integration’s scripts is now available with initial support for the Obsidian note-taking app.

The current integration of Hook supports:

• Copy Link in Obsidian (returns a link containing an obsidian:// link)
  • Copy Markdown Link in Obsidian (also returns a link containing an obsidian:// link)
  • Copy All Links in Obsidian
  • Hook to Copied Link in Obsidian, and
  • related functionality (e.g., find and Hook window navigation).

Limitations and plans

Please note that Obsidian is still in pre 1.0 beta. Hence the following limitations.

1. The Get Address script used in copying Obsidian links returns a link to the last opened file of the last opened vault, not the document of the frontmost vault. (Obsidian does not yet provide an API for directly getting the address and title of the currently open note). This can lead to unexpected results, so please keep an eye on the result of linking. (Hook shows you the title of the focal item, and the title+URL of each linked item, which gives you an opportunity to validate them).
  2. Hook to New > Obsidian is not yet supported . (Obsidian does not yet provide an API for creating a note and getting its URL.)
  3. Reveal File in Finder is not yet supported for Obsidian items.

However, we will try to work-around limitations #2 and #3 to the extent possible.

For more information, please see Using Hook with Obsidian – Hook. (FYI: we are gradually developing one "Using Hook with app-name" page per app whose data Hook can link.)

Gratitude

Special thanks to Josh Nichols for publishing a script on which Hook’s integration is based. Check out Josh’s work on Github and his communications on Twitter.

We would also like to thank Lisa Sieverts for serving as liaison between CogSci Apps and the Obsidian community. Thanks also to many Hook Productivity Forum members who contributed to this discussion here, here and on the obsidian forum. It is immensely helpful to have members keep us and other Hook forum members up-to-date on progress/status of particular apps, and to help third-party app developers understand true linkability of data, and why it matters.

We’ve had Obsidian on our radar for a long time. We’re delighted to enable you to link to its notes.

How to get the updated integration

Hook’s automatic software update (if enabled) automatically updates Hook’s integration scripts without you needing to relaunch Hook. Using Hook’s Check for App Updates and Update Scripts command also updates the scripts, without you needing to relaunch Hook.

We also bundle Hook’s integration scripts with the Hook installer itself, of course. But Hook’s app updates are less frequent than the pure integration updates. We will soon release a version of Hook that includes bug fixes and the latest integrations (Apple Notes and Obsidian).

Twitter

Obsidian integration also announced on Twitter . Please feel free to share.

Speaking of the importance of hyperlink automation…

Each additional integration we publish illustrates the importance of automated hyperlinking. In Nov. the following chapter was published in The Future of Text which makes the general point:

Beaudoin, L. P. & Jomphe, D. (2020). A manifesto for user and automation interfaces for hyperlinking: How hypertext can enhance cognitive productivity. In F. Hegland (ed.) The Future of Text (pp. 266-269). https://doi.org/10.48197/fot2020a

A website will be developed based on the general ideas, per What’s a Linkable App and Why Does Linkability Matter? – Hook. There’s an email address on that page to sign up to the manifesto.

updated

Post revised 2020-12-16 16:25 . It accidentally had a link to Apple notes rather than: Using Hook with Obsidian – Hook.

1 Like

I just updated to v0.10.0 Obsidian insider build. It appears the Hook Integration has been broken. Just a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up, @jeffk8900

We have not been able to find issues between Hook and v0.10.0 of Obsidian in our limited tests. Could you please be more specific about what is broken? Did you have success with the prior version of Obsidian? Does Obsidian provide any helpful output regarding this in /Applications/Utilities/Console.app?

Thank you.

Sorry for not adding more information in my post. When I go to invoke Hook in Obsidian it defaults to the Hook window as the program doesn’t work with Hook. I tried to initialize it again and capture the following from console:

error 08:32:28.783737-0700 Hook Java Script execution error:

error 08:32:28.784854-0700 Hook Failed to get url error:“OSAScriptErrorRangeKey” = NSRange: {0, 0};

“OSAScriptErrorNumberKey” = -2700;

“NSLocalizedDescription” = “Error: TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating ‘vault[“path”]’)”;

“NSLocalizedFailureReason” = “Error: TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating ‘vault[“path”]’)”;

“OSAScriptErrorBriefMessageKey” = “Error: TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating ‘vault[“path”]’)”;

“OSAScriptErrorMessageKey” = “Error: TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating ‘vault[“path”]’)”;

Additionally, some members on the Obsidian forum haver provided more feedback on the issue also.

Thanks for the reply.

Jeff

1 Like

updated 2020-12-16 1-14 PM.

Dynalist (the Obsdian devs) and CogSci Apps were sorry to learn the integration broke. I’m in touch with Dynalist, we’re in discussions to expedite re-achieving the integration.

we’ve updated Hook to work with the updated Obsidian version too (i.e., their ‘insider build’, non public, as well as their public version). This will be in the next script updates, available within the hour if all goes well.

i dont understand hook-with-obsidian it there isnt api of obsidian that i understood and got advanced url and you stated that and adding @LucB

how can i do it?
hook://file/url

Sorry, I do not understand your question. Could you please rephrase it?

i figured out and understood thank you soo much for your help

now my question is

1. what is scripts or give something to read or video to understand its fundamentals to use it
  2. which are upcoming features or currently devloping

Hookmark App Videos – Hookmark

Hookmark 5.0 Release notes*