Finding Hook links and files: An Alfred workflow

Hi there,

as some people have already noticed, it is hard to find Hook links, when the resources can’t be remembered exactly. The possibility to link things together is really cool, but not finding this linked stuff is not so cool.
As long as there is no other method, I have built a little Alfred workflow to find links and files for myself, but I do not want to hide it from other Hook users, so here it is:

Here it is on the Tinderbox Forum…

I saw, that I cannot upload files here, so you can get this workflow in the Tinderbox Forum.
There is also a description (although I also wrote something in the workflow itself.)

You can also download it here:

Dropbox link ← new version, now also writes unicode to tsv file

If you find this helpful, you can simply use it, if there should be problems, please tell me…
Any further ideas are welcome (solutions of course, too :wink:)

3 Likes

I’ve spent days in anguish worrying about whether to commit to pixels over this. The app deserves better uptake than it’s getting if this forum is an indicator of interest. Imho an enhanced front end to help find and exploit the work done/time invested.

1 Like

As the creation of this workflow is still going on, I will always add some new features (when they come to my mind :thinking:):

Now you can add a shortcut for each part of the workflow, if you like, and when you press the “option”-key while searching for a link or a file (or both), the Hook window will open 2 seconds after the search.

So this would be a combination of searching and hooking :wink:

2 Likes

@cremoer, this is helpful. Thank you!

1 Like

I don’t use Alfred, but I have recognized the problem of finding specific Hook files which are hubs for linked resources. My simple solution has been to carefully tag Hook files I want to access quickly. Then, when I do a tag search in Spotlight, the Hook files are quickly retrieved. From there I get to my linked resources.

1 Like

My system is similar. I sometimes add the tag “hub”. (I have a Finder sidebar favorite that searches for tag:hub. I also have a similar favorite setup in Trickster. One can use a launcher as well.)

I also now typically treat TaskPaper files as hubs, because they are increasingly at the center of my work. Having said that, I have a large number of ad hoc files created via Link to New that are not necessarily part of a deliberately formed network, and I use other heuristics.

With Hook’s AppleScript dictionary you can now get Hook’s bookmarks. I’ve posted on this here:
LaunchBar and Hook … and searching bookmarks with LaunchBar using the new Browse Hook Bookmarks LaunchBar action . There’s an Alfred Workflow here which has not been exercised much. I personally am a LaunchBar user – Graham, who developed the action, is an Alfred user.

We welcome sharing of Alfred workflows, LaunchBar actions , and Keyboard Maestro automations of Hook. Our own fine-tuning and extending of Hook’s own automation is also important to us.