Failure to update to latest integration scripts

This follows up on @ RobTrew’s report that whereas version 128 is the latest published version of Hook integration scripts,

i.e., his instance of Hook’s integration scripts were stuck at version 122, not updating to 128.

We’ve been able to replicate this on a CogSci Apps Mac. The other Macs we’ve tested this on do not have this problem, and we’ve heard from other users that they are not having the problem either. We’re trying to get to the bottom of why this happens when it does. It might be a certificate issue.

FWIW I remember similar wobbles in July 19 – not sure if the underlying issue is the same:

1 Like

It turns out that the tester who experienced this behavior on our side was using Hook Lite, and his Hook Lite had expired, so the script updates stopped. That’s as planned, but the Updates tab should say that the updates license has expired, which in his case it didn’t. So we will fix that.

@RobTrew is it possible that you haven’t applied your Hook Updates license to that particular Mac? (That would not be a Lite expiration case. QA on our side will double check the Preferences messages for Updates license expiration, and also that an adequate message is shown when ‘check for updates’ is used in that case.)

Well I only have one Mac. What does the phrase 'applied your Hook Updates license to ...' mean to you ?

(No resonances in this cognitive context, I fear. Would like to try again ? :slight_smile: )

I have looked in vain in all the usual places for a licenses panel which might shed light …

I do have a Paddle receipt and license key …

any suggestions ?

If not, don’t worry. I’m beginning to think that I may just implement the subset of Hook that I use (copy as Markdown link, essentially), in Keyboard Maestro with a custom URL handler.

Follow up – I got Paddle to resend an activation license, activated again, and restarted …

But no change still reports an earlier version (I had thought it was at 122, but it seems to have gone down to 121 now …)

Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 01.29.46

One final thing – not sure if it’s related: Hook doesn’t seem to be respecting the Launch at Startup setting. It always launches at startup, even when that option is unchecked in Preferences.

The only solution that I have found is to uninstall without reinstalling :slight_smile:

Per Hook’s purchase page, a purchase of Hook includes a license for one year of software updates. After a year, further updates requires an Updates license to be purchased. Expiration of the updates period is supposed to be reflected in the UI including the Updates tab. If not (and we’re re-checking that), that is what the main issue would be.

So if you have owned Hook Essentials or Pro for more than a year, and not purchased an Updates license, that would explain why you’re not getting the updates.

if you have owned Hook Essentials or Pro for more than a year, and not purchased an Updates license, that would explain why you’re not getting the updates.

That makes sense.

And in terms of your revenue, the user’s cognitive resource, and your own time, probably worth making that discoverable in the UI.

A prompt when an Updates license license runs out ? A discoverable license panel somewhere pointing to license status and your licensing arrangements ?

“Per Hook’s purchase page

I hadn’t seen that before. Having understood the offer, I think it’s probably not a good fit, in my case. Not quite sure why, but I think it may the most irritating, and cognitively least productive UI that I have ever repeatedly grappled with.

Easier links are a good idea, and there’s some solid core value buried in the utility (copy as Markdown link) but a mixture of oversell and under-design (endless struggle to find basic things) which doesn’t quite work for me.

It’s been fun. Good luck !

(uninstalled now)