Creating a Hookmark file in the active folder location

I’m finally appreciating the power of Hookmark files! My key use-case: I want to ensure that I don’t have duplicates for the articles that I use for my research, even though I may use the same article for two publications I’m writing, as well as for a seminar I’m teaching. So, I want my PDFs all in one folder. But what about the three other project folders? And, of course, I can use Hookmark to create links from the folder (or a key project-file in it) to the PDF in the big PDF folder. But it’s much (cognitively) preferable to actually see the filename of my PDF in the different project folders, to move it into sub-folders, delete it, etc. So, I now create a “Hookmark file” for the PDF, and put it (and its duplicates) in the relevant folders. That way, it looks like the file is there – I can see the informative file name “Author Year Title” and – and when I click on it (from anywhere!), I’m taken to the One True Location for the PDF. I love it.

Now the feature request: Sometimes, I’m working in a project folder (“Human Rights Seminar ay24”), and there is a file in a project folder that I want to also have appear in a different folder. What I would like to do is to invoke Hookmark to create a Hookmark file in the folder I’m currently working in. That way, I’ve got it right there, and I can then use (in my case) Alfred to move the file elsewhere, while keeping the Hookmark file as a marker/placeholder.

What I have to do currently is leave the current folder, go to the folder of Hookmark files and then move the Hookmark file to a new location (often the folder where I just was). This strikes me as going again all of Luc’s key principles of Cognitive Productivity!

Any chance that it could be an option to create the Markdown file in situ? I’m going to try a workaround with Hazel putting any file that gets created in the folder of Hookmark files into my Yoink pasteboard, which will allow me to access it without leaving the folder. But that’s slow and cludgey.

3 Likes

I second your feature request.

Coincidentally, I use the exact same Hazel / Yoink workaround. To make it as quick as possible -quick enough for me-, I use conditional time setting “not in the last” 0.2 min. The inconvenient I find with the workaround is that I have to use a mouse to move the file; if I could do it all with the keyboard I’d be satisfied.

Cheers

1 Like

What a coincidence! Could you perhaps share how you do it? Do you have Hazel run a script to put it in Yoink? Would you be willing to share the script?

I was thinking, it might be possible to run a Keyboard Maestro macro to do several things:

1. Set a variable for the current Finder folder.
  2. Create a Hookmark file for a file.
  3. Have Hazel run a script on the most recent file in the Hookmark folder, moving the file to the pathname variable.

Any ideas on what that script should be?

1 Like

This is the rule in Hazel (no script)

I haven’t tried in KM -perhaps mainly because I don’t have a script and Hazel does large part of what I need-.

1 Like