When applying an Updates license, when does the clock start ticking?

I noticed today that my license was going to run out in a few weeks, so I went ahead and renewed while I had some time. Instead of adding a year to the end of my current license, the clock started from 6/30. I only lost a week and a half, but still. I used the same email address last year and this year, so it shouldn’t be that hard to just kick it out accurately.

Hi Arthur. Purchasing an Updates license adds a year, and that is working. Purchasing an initial license gives you a year, it does not factor in prior purchases. The Updates licenses are cheaper than a regular license. For your privacy, let’s continue the conversation over PM or email.

Hmmm … I’m not sure what @LucB is expressing here. People are very used to subscriptions now (especially through the App store) and those other subscriptions always add a year to your existing subscription. So if your current subscription goes to June 1, 2021, but you renew on May 15, you still get a renewal until June 1 of the following year (2022). Having a renewal system that seems to work differently from all the other ones folks are used to is a bit of a problem.

The issue was 100% error on my part. I clicked the wrong link and inadvertently purchased a new subscription that naturally was given an immediate start date rather than an extension.

@LucB found my mistake and we were able to come to a resolution.

I apologize for the confusion I caused and this topic should probably be taken down so no one else misunderstands what I did wrong.

@arthurwerry Ah! Thanks for the clarification. That’s good to know.

Thank you, @arthurwerry . Rather than take the topic down, I’ve given it a new title “When applying an Updates license, when does the clock start ticking?”

The answer is that the Updates license gives users an additional year of entitlement to update. The Updates license clock starts ticking either one year from when the user first applies it, or when the previously applied license’s one year term expires, whatever comes last. The clock never starts ticking before the expiry of the current license.

Thank you @Mathew for the feedback. Ours is based on Timing’s prior model, and one of Sketch’s options (last time we checked). Our model has some major advantages over a typical subscription license: you can continue using the software with full features indefinitely, it does not stop when the updates period ends. You only need to pay if you want the particular updates we have delivered. And if we haven’t delivered an update for a number of weeks after your Updates period ends, you need not pay a cent. That is better on the customer’s pocket book, and the customer knows CogSci Apps Corp. has an incentive to continuously enhance the product.

There is no licensing arrangement that is preferable to everyone. It’s a world of trade-offs. There’s a ton of stuff in Hook’s pipeline, so we’re focusing on providing new substantive features rather than providing additional licensing options.

Having said that, in the next release, Hook 3.2, we’re making additional UI changes reflecting the license stuff.