Updated Integration with Bookends reference management app for Mac, Trickster and TheBrain

Hookmark integration v. 269 is now available with updates to integration with Bookends Mac app, Trickster Mac app and TheBrain Mac app.

Bookends reference manager for macOS

Hookmark now works with Bookends 14.1.9, released Saturday, which has updated its URL format. We’ve ensured that your Bookends “hooks” (bidirectional links) will continue to work to the extent that Bookends URLs do.

We’ve also addressed an issue with Reveal File in Finder that appeared when Bookends introduced support for deep linking earlier this year (if you selected text in Bookends then Hookmark’s Reveal File in Finder would fail).

Other changes

• Hookmark integration with TheBrain Mac app now works with multiple languages.
  • Update Trickster Mac app integration with Paddle

How to get the updated integration

Hookmark’s automatic software update (if enabled) automatically updates Hookmark’s integration scripts without you needing to relaunch Hookmark. Using Hookmark’s Check for App Updates and Update Scripts command also updates the scripts, without you needing to relaunch Hookmark.

This update requires a valid Updates license.

The ability to create links to individual papers in Bookends with Hookmark has been one the most important reasons for me to return to Bookends (I’m very happy for other reasons as well!).

But since this last update my links don’t work as I want them to. I used to invoke Hookmark after selecting an entry in Bookends, copy, and then simply paste into the Craft document that I mostly use to write papers or work on presentations. This used to result in a nice entry of a formatted citation that is linked to the paper in Bookends. And that’s what I would like to continue to do.
Now it creates only a link that doesn’t even work properly and instead opens Safari.
Does anybody have a clue what I need to change to get back to my “original” workflow?

That’s what links in Craft now look like:
%5BAgusti,%20A.,%20Gibson,%20P.%20G.,%20&%20McDonald,%20V.%20M.%20(2023).%20Treatable%20Traits%20in%20Airway%20Disease:%20From%20Theory%20to%20Practice.%20J%20Allergy%20Clin%20Immunol%20Pract,%20S2213-2198(23)00076.%20doi:10.1016/j.jaip.2023.01.011%0D%5D(bookends://sonnysoftware.com/ref/MW%20Bookends%20Library/86881)

They used to look this way:
Park, S. C., Kim, D. H., Jun, Y. J., Kim, S. W., Yang, H. J., Yang, S. I., . . . Kim, D. K. (2023). Long-term Outcomes of Turbinate Surgery in Patients With Allergic Rhinitis: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 149(1), 15-23. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2022.3567

Martin
BTW: Hookmark is fantastic and I use in many other scenarios as well…

Welcome to Hookmark forum, @Wagenmann .

Sorry for the trouble.

Is it a problem for a particular Bookends link or all Bookends links have this problem?

If you copy Hookmark from mail (or other apps) and paste it in Craft, will it have the same problem?

Could you please let us know the version of Craft and macOS version? Is Craft i from Setapp or App Store?

If you try “Copy Markdown Link” from Hookmark and paste the link in Craft, will that make any difference? Also, please post the markdown link here.

Thank you

All Hookmark-created links from Bookends have this problem.

No, links from other apps or the finder just work fine. E.g. a link to an email:
[Beginn Wartung]: Ankündigung Wartung IT [Datennetz] am Donnerstag den 20.04.2023 ab 18:00 Uhr 2023-04-20 From “Dieterich, Stephan - UKD” to Mailuser@med.uni-duesseldorf.de

Craft Version: 2.5 (897) not from Setapp Mac OS version - I think I bought it through the App Store.

When using “copy hypertext link” I get this result in Craft:

bookends://sonnysoftware.com/ref/MW%20Bookends%20Library/86881
(which is not formatted as a link!)
To use this as a link I have to create a link in Craft first and then paste this in. Then it links back to the correct library entry.
Thus, this means extra work since I need to type a name in Craft first, then create the hyperlink in Bookends and go back to Craft, create the link (⌘k) and paste it in…
Thanks, Martin

There is a related discussion about this on the Bookends forum with relevant information about Craft.

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5964

1 Like

Thanks for asking about this.

Sounds like

a. there is an issue with your setup, most likely a clipboard manager as we cannot reproduce this and we have many Craft users.
b. or a bug in Craft that interacts with your setup.

thanks for your kind words about the app. I’m sure we’ll be able to get to the bottom of whatever the issue is with Craft interacting with Hookmark.

If Hookmark links paste fine for you in TextEdit and other other apps it suggests an interaction with Craft, possibly via a clipboard manager.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions!

@jda: Bookends forum - indeed I posted the problem there as well. It was suggested I should ask Hookmark…

@LucB: I don’t use a clipboard manager. TextEdit: the pasted link looks exactly the same way - but interestingly it links correctly back to the bookends entry! Thus, I’ll try to tweak my Craft settings and see what I can find there.
Thank you very much for your quick reply! I won’t give up because Hookmark is such a game changer for me (not only with Bookends)
Martin

Jon from Bookends found the solution! (In the bookmark board). The trick is to paste the links using “Shift-Option-Command-V” (not only the usual “Command-V”. Thanks a lot for your suggestions and help! Best regards! Martin

1 Like

Thank you for letting us know, @Wagenmann . That’s great news!