Total Newb: Am I doing it wrong?

I love the concept of Hook and am trying to build new habit behavior so I can consistenly link related work.

Where I think I “don’t get it” is when I try to link a collection of webpages together, so that if I have any of those pages loaded in my browser, I can quickly look at the other related pages.

If I hook Pages B and C to Page A, and invoke Hook from Page A, I see links to B and C (great!). But if I invoke Hook from Page B, I only see a link to Page A. What I am hoping to do is invoke Hook from Page B and see both A and C (or both A and B if invoking from C), because all of these pages are related to each other. In reality, there are more like a dozen or two dozen pages I want to link together, and see that full list of hooks from any of those pages.

Because none of my pages are “the” central page to which everything else should be hooked, I feel like I would have to follow breadcrumbs too often to hook or view related pages.

Is there an approach to use that will allow me to easily group these things without worrying that I am hooking them to the “wrong” item in the group?

I love the concept of Hook and am trying to build new habit behavior so I can consistenly link related work.

yay!

Where I think I “don’t get it” is when I try to link a collection of webpages together, so that if I have any of those pages loaded in my browser, I can quickly look at the other related pages.

Hook links are bidirectional. From any given node you can currently only see what’s directly linked to it. You can manually navigate from that node. The contextual Hook window has a navigator. We do intend to provide a way to expand and search the entire network from a given node. Meanwhile, treating a given resource as a hub node is a common way to proceed.

Hook also has an optional PINNED section. So if you create a hub, you could pin. Hook automatically bookmarks what you hook. Your pinned nodes are no exception, so you can access them in Hook with search, too. One can also create a .hook file to a hub node.

If you’re looking for everything you’ve bookmarked (hooked, etc.) on a particular website, there’s a search view. For instance searching for discourse hookproductivity (or variants of that, such as disc* hookp* will show you everything hooked to this forum. (We do plan to make more automatic.) You can also use names of folders in paths. So if you are hooking stuff to something on Finder, you can use part of the pathname to get back to it.

Hook remembers what you’ve searched for if you use the return key, so you can re-access prior searches from the search tool. (Saved searches are on the list.) Hook’s search field does support text expansion utilities like TextExpander.

Wow, great insight and amazing response time. Thanks LucB!

But now I feel dumb. I took a closer look and now I see that clicking the > symbol on the far right of the “Hooked” section will expand the list of hooks to the other related pages I am interested in, even if they weren’t originally hooked to the page I’m currently viewing. I think I’m all squared away there.

I have one more challenge I’m trying to work through. When I “Hook to Copied Link” the title of the hook is the text from the end of the URL path. I’m spending a lot of time renaming the hooks to something more relevant. When I invoke Hook, I see that it interprets the title of the page I’m on, and I’d love for hooks to automatically inherit the title of the page being hooked. This makes me think I’m not using the tool efficiently and I’d like to know if I can be smarter about my workflow.

If I want to hook Pages A, B, and C, I will:

• Load all three in the browser.
  • Copy the URL from Page B
  • Switch to Page A
  • Invoke Hook
  • From the menu, Hook to Copied Link
  • Clear Hook by pressing Esc
  • Re-invoke Hook
  • Rename the new hook from Page B to something more relevant
  • Rinse and Repeat for Page C

From the above workflow, where can I become more efficient? I have Shortcuts (obviously - we’re all on Mac lol), and I also use Keyboard Maestro, in case a macro needs to be leveraged.

Apologies if this is all covered in a FAQ somewhere.