Tip: Tagging in Hookmark

Hookmark does not yet have tagging yet, but if you’d like to tag stuff : for now,

1. you can use the rename function to add a #<tag> to the bookmark’s name. Then when searching in Hookmark (⌘F), use quotes like this #<tag>. E.g., "#medical".
  2. if you’re using Pinboard with the [Hookmark’s Pinboard service enabled],(Services Preferences Tab – Hookmark), you can Reveal Page in Pinboard, and add a tag there.
  3. for files, you can Reveal File in Finder and apply a Finder tag.
  4. many other apps have tags, which you can use. E.g., if you open the item in OmniFocus, you can tag it there.

In Apple notes or any other app, if you put #tag in the title itself (e.g., in Apple Notes in first line) before invoking Hookmark, then Hookmark will have it in its database.

Apple Notes automatically turns #tag expressions into tags shown in its tag browser; and we might do the same thing down the road.

1 Like

And it works! I’ve been using the rename function for many months, even adding 2 or 3 tags. I recently switched to Agenda from an app that didn’t support tags. The community came up with a work around system so it became a part of the new link process but the apps search could not support boolean operators. Now I’m restructuring my Hookmark tags to fit the way I’m using them in Agenda. It’s a mostly painless process; enter old tag name in Hookmark find and they all pop up for changing. It would be faster if I had a “find and replace all” method but no biggie.
Since I mentioned it, I can’t give enough praise for the Agenda app. It has ~6 years of evolving and never wavering from the original concept. The evolution of every new feature has been well thought out and purposefully implemented. It’s almost exciting to read the last 5 years of development in the community forum with constant involvement from the 2 man design team.
It’s no wonder Hookmark works well with them, they seems to have similar development philosophies.

1 Like

Hey @LucB

thanks for those tips.

Just following up here to give my strong +1 to a full-fledged tagging feature in Hookmark, without using ranaming.

Adding a hashtag via renaming (apart from creating friction in the workflow) doesn’t quite cut it for my use case because I depend on the hookmark name being updated automatically when invoking Hookmark, i.e. the hooked elements are not static.

And tags within OmniFocus and other applications also don’t help when I want to find a specific type of hookmark in the database.

I believe tagging would be adopted and found useful by a significant majority of users.

1 Like

thanks, @AW2307 . Tagging is coming in Hookmark 6.1. We are testing it internally. It will be on Setapp next week probably, and on our site.

1 Like

That is really great to hear!

Looking forwards to testing it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Patiently waiting for 6.1 … Tagging will be a real gamechanger for my workflows.

Happy holidays!