Supported PDF editor for deeplinking in 2023

Hello, I was wondering if there is an up-to-date list of tested and working apps that support deeplinking (linking to a specific location in the pdf) on macos

I have tried
Preview - does not work
PDF Expert - does not work
Acrobat Reader DC - does not work
PDF Reader Pro - does not work

Nitro PDF - it works, however the app is super expensive and quite honestly it is pretty bad - even scrolling takes a few seconds for the text to get rendered in full quality (latest M1 Pro macbook).

The free reader Skim works with deep links…at least the last time I used it.

1 Like

Welcome to the Hookmark Forum , @martin10 .

There is this help page with more details: Copying Deep PDF Links and Quotes – Hookmark. There’s a brief list here too: Link-friendly Mac Apps – Hookmark

My “go to” PDF Reader has been Skim for over 15 years. I love it.

Thank you for that. I managed to get acrobat reader working - as per the instructions, you need to have something highlighted (annotated) before it can link to that part. From my tests so far Acrobat seems to be a serviceable option and its free.

Just out of interest, is it because the target applications do not support deep linking or is it a matter of development time to make other apps work (such as preview or pdf expert) ?

they lack automation for deep-linking. PDF Expert lacks an API for linking at all – deep or not.

Nitro IS expensive. I got it for various other reasons in addition to deep linking. I too have a MBP M1 and have no rendering issues. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I’m a bit late to this post, but I stumbled across it with a Google search just to see what else was out there. I’ve been using DevonThink for PDF storage and markup. It allows deep linking between the tools that I use. I’m sorry to say that I’ve dropped Hook because what I work with just works without the need for it. If I ever find myself needing to step out of these, I’ll definitely come back.

Current workflow tools for my active thesis work are: Obsidian, DevonThink, Bookends, Scrivener, and Mellel. GoodNotes on the iPad for written notes.