Support inquiry: MarginNote

You got it. I thought opening a document was sufficient.
I knew I was missing something - that’s why I asked “What do I need to be doing…” initially. :slight_smile:
So my intention was to have a document link, but deep-linking might be even more useful. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for persisting with this and bringing it up. Deep linking in as many apps as possible is definitely an important direction.

I’ve just started using MarginNote 3. I can link to extracted highlights/notes, but when I try to link to the document itself, I get no linkable items found. Not a very big deal as I can link to it via Trickster or Finder, but it seems odd to be able to do deep linking (wonderful!) but not the top-level linking.

In other words, ‘hooks’ in MarginNote are all “deep” (to the item selected when Copy Link or Hook to Copied Link is called), with no reflection of the document structure at this point.

Does MarginNote enable you to copy ta link to the entire document? (In my exploration of the app I couldn’t see that). If so you could use Hook to Copied Link on the other side, if that helps.

No. That’s what I can’t make work.

I’m not sure I quite understand. If you mean starting with the other file I want to link to the MarginNote document and copying its Hook link, then invoking Hook in MarginNote to paste the link, that doesn’t work either. I can only create links to/from the entire document in Finder.

Yes – provided the document has a “Study Notebook” associated with it. in the “Study” view, select the notebook for the document and chose “Copy notebook URL” from the contextual menu.

This is essentially an “indirect” link to the document, but it serves the purpose pretty well and is usable in Hook of course.

Be safe.

Katie

Hi! A quick note to mention that MarginNote 3.7.8 added AppleScript support, and here’s the documentation I could find.

3 Likes

About time! This is good news.

Hello,

Any news about the integration between Hook and Margin Note 3 ?

danieljomphe is right, the update surely solves the problem!

Get Address:

on theSplit(theString, theDelimiter)
	set oldDelimiters to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to theDelimiter
	set theArray to every text item of theString
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldDelimiters
	return theArray
end theSplit

tell application "MarginNote 3"
	set n to item 2 of my theSplit(name of window 1, "MarginNote 3 - ")
	set id_ to id of item 1 of (search notebook n)
end tell
return "[" & n & "](marginnote3app://notebook/" & id_ & ")"