Photo markdown link crashes Photos

Version 3.3 (4542; Integration v. 183) on macOS 11.6

1. Select a photo in Photos
  2. Invoke Hook
  3. Use “Copy Markdown Link”
  4. Paste that markdown link to that photo into any app that understands markdown links
  5. Click the link
  6. Photos opens, and then crashes

Sorry for the trouble.

Does it happen to any photos or a particular photo?

I’ll say “any photo” but stipulate that I’ve only tested this on four photos selected from different albums.

1 Like

If possible, could you please open /Applications/Utilities/Console
(1) on the top right corner, enter “hook” in search field, then try to open the Photo link you pasted in the document.After Photos crashes, select all output in Console window, copy and paste in an empty document and save the document. Remove any private information. Please send the output file to support@cogsciapps.com.
(2) on the top right corner, enter “Photos” in search field, then try to open the Photo link you pasted in the document. After Photos crashes, select all output in Console window, copy and paste in an empty document and save the document. Remove any private information. Please send the output file to support@cogsciapps.com.

I’m flattered you would ask me to troubleshoot for you, but, I’ll demur. This is not my role.

1 Like

I totally understand. The reason why we sometimes ask for console output is that we can’t reproduce the problem on our machines, and the console output might help to diagnose the problem. Anyway, thank you and sorry about the trouble.

Possibly related - I’ve had to disable Hookmark’s automation for Photos, as it caused non-stop beachballs and delays.

Version 5.1.2 (5450; Integration v. 274)

Sorry about this issue.

What’s your macOS version?

What do you mean by disable Hookmark’s automation for Photos? Is there a script that you run in the context of Photos?

@bchend - Mac OS13.3.1 (a)

@LucB - In System Settings → Privacy & Security → Automation → Hookmark, I’ve disabled the toggle for Photos (though left it on for 6 other apps without any issues).

1 Like

thanks for letting us know.

Does it cause the issue only when you invoke Hookmark on it? If not, then unless there’s other automation involved, the only way Hookmark would interact with it would be through the menu bar icon badge, which polls the app. Turning that off with System automation on would prove it, but that would also prevent the badge’s status from updating in all apps.

The beachballs and pauses in Photo occur both when I invoke Hookmark, and also just generally. There is no other automation involved.

Turning off the menu bar icon in Hookmark’s preferences does indeed seem to resolve the issue with Photos. But, as you point out, this prevents the badge for all other apps.

1 Like

How many photos do you have? Would you mind sending us a screen shot which illustrates the problem?

Thank you

The library is about 78000 photos, about 22k of which are work (images of medieval manuscripts).

I’m not totally clear what you want a screenshot of - invoking Hookmark on Photos?

Yes, please. Just make sure no private info in the screenshot.

Thank you

My assessment is that we the issue due a performance issue or perhaps a bug in Photos AppleScript – not performing well with such a large photos database.

We expect to publish a way we have to exclude specific apps from the badge feature.