Linking Curio and DevonthinkPro via Hook

Basic problem is that once the link is established, at least I think it is, then from Curio with the hook menu showing if I press enter to go to the selected DevonthinkPro document a new document is created.

Background

Starting in Curio I used the create new to create a new markdown note in DevonthinkPro. Unlike the tutorial video on the subject once the new is activated DevonthinkPro gives me a choice of location. I select the appropriate folder and the document is created in DevonthinkPro. Go to the DevonthinkPro document and enter some text. Go back to Curio, activate the hook menu. Select the DevonthinkPro link and press enter. At that point the DevonthinkPro location menu appears. Selecting a location results in a new document being created in that location whereas I expected to go back to the DevonthinkPro document I just created.

I’m a neophyte with hook and so I suspect this is just cockpit error but I’d appreciate any guidance on how to make this work correctly so that clicking the link to DevonthinkPro takes me back to the original note I created.

Thanks

Welcome to the Hookmark Forum , @dorich.

do you mean Hook to New?

I don’t understand why that would happen. Hookmark’s integration script for DEVONthink hasn’t changed:

tell application id "DNtp"
	set newItem to create record with {name:"$title", rich text:"", type:rtf}
	set refURL to reference URL of newItem
	set itemPath to path of newItem
end tell
open location refURL
get refURL

That is also unexpected.

Have you edited the integration scripts per chance? Otherwise, I would guess it has something to do with your DEVONthink configurations. But I don’t know what particular configs would cause that. I tried closing a database to see if that would cause a dialog box to appear, but it didn’t (In that case it goes to the inbox).

Given that you’re seeing it after both Hook to New and opening, I imagine it’s due to “open location refURL”.

I recommend,

1. In curio, invoke Hookmark and Copy Link
  2. paste the link somewhere (e.g., textedit)
  3. test the link.

Also if you would please paste the link here we would be able to see if there’s something wrong with it.

@LucB

Thanks for your prompt reply.

For the moment I’ll set aside your questions.

I read over the explanation in the support documentation and concluded

• I didn’t understand how to use hook with Curio
  • It’s not entirely clear to me how to use Hook with Curio if I want to link to a specific object in Curio. Or put another way if I want to link a DevonthinkPro note to a text note in Curio I’m unclear how that is executed

Reading the documentation it seems that using Hook as is means that I can only link to a Curio document, I can’t link to a specific object inside of the Curio document. Is that correct?

Alternatively it seems that in order to invoke deep linking I need to run a script to make a change viz:

tell application “Curio”
markdown link to selected item of active document
end tell

Having applied that script I’m assuming that I can link from a DevonthinkPro note to a Curio Object - is that correct?
If that is correct I’m unclear on how to go about creating the bidirectional link and how much effort is involved.

By contrast I can paste the Curio Hyperlink directly into DevonthinkPro and paste the DevonthinkPro item link into Curio and achieve the same result. So my understanding, or perhaps lack of it, suggests that for one to one situations Hook doesn’t provide any additional benefits, is that correct?
I could see a benefit if there is a need for a one to many situation where you might want to link from one note in DevonthinkPro to several objects in Curio or a set of documents in different applications.

Documentation

Change of topic, since this seems to be the vehicle to provide feedback I would comment that reading through the explanation of working with Hook and Curio I found the amount of explanation mixed in with How To made the explanation too dense. I think it could be clearer if the explanations were separated out as references (Hyperlinks) so that the How To is laid out in clear simple steps.

Thanks