Link to a specific Page in PDF using Preview / Any Other REader

Hi Forum,

this has been solved for PDF files in DT Pro Office but I was wondering if there is a general possibility to link to a specific page in a PDF file. (that then is opened in “preview app”…or maybe any PDF reader of choice to cater for all tastes?)

Thanks in advance and stay safe.

J.

This is not yet in place, but is high on the Hook dev priority list.

1 Like

Linking to specific pfd pages with Hook would be great for attorneys as attorneys are giving hyperlinked documents to Courts as a courtesy copy.

2 Likes

One of my work processes generates a very large PDF with lots of sections in. (It’s a PDF with job dossiers in - and each dossier documents performance aspects of a particular mainframe z/OS batch job.)

Sticking my virtual fingers in the PDF at each section is a royal pain. So hooks to sections would help me, too.

(An advanced use case would be automating search in the PDF for each section and sticking a pin/hook in for each of them.)

So I, too, have a legitimate use case. In fact this might be my first “in Production” use case.

2 Likes

I would also like to lend a vote for this. I am currently working on a project with a lot of references to specific pages in a lot of pdfs, and it would be very helpful to be able to put links to reference pages in my working documents.

For the record, I use, and would recommend supporting if possible, Skim. It seems to be the go-to PDF reader for many people who I’ve spoken to who read PDFs professionally.

Thanks, @dr.cox and @mediapathic .

Deep PDF linking was introduced in Dec: Hook 2.2 Release Notes – Hook and has been augmented since then.

See: Deep PDF Links Take You Right Where You Need to Focus – Hook.

For a list of deep-linkable apps, see " PDF Readers supporting deep linking" on Linkable Mac Apps – Hook. That does include Skim, PDFpenPro and some others. But Preview does not have an API for deep linking, so there’s nothing anyone but Apple can do about that.

Aha! I had feared when I wrote this that it had been implemented and I’d missed it. For the record, I failed to find this feature because I missed that I needed to make a selection before invoking hook. But, I don’t think this behavior needs to be changed, because I suspect most people who need this feature will be using it in the way it was designed (I was trying to bookmark a section of the text, rather than make a specific citation).

Thanks, and apologies for the noise!

1 Like