Hookmark context window popping up regularly — solution : if using Trickster or related process, delete old Hook.app files (not Hookmark)

I had Trickster and Hook together. After the update, the Hook app was renamed Hookmark in my applications folder. So that must be the problem. Great to have found the cause - it was driving me crazy. Thank you.

1 Like

So, all: the solution is. If you are running Hookmark.app , please remove Hook.app from your Mac.

@jacob: I don’t know, when it started. I tried Trickster a long time ago, but didn’t use it frequently, so I stopped it. Some weeks ago I wanted to give it a try again (but perhaps then I didn’t use hookmark, so I didn’t recognize the problem). Later I also started again with hookmark, which I also had stopped using (but will use for sure now on a daily basis!). As I had no time in that moment to figure out the problem I again stopped every helper application until now. BTW: I started with hook at the very beginning of the app, but deleted this old version „hook“ last year and installed the new „hookmark“-app (with the new name), so it shouldn’t be the helping by only deleting the old app. I always used (and still use now) the newest version of Hookmark4 resp. now Hookmark5 (downloaded from the website), version of Trickster is 3.9 and MacOS is Monterey 12.6.3.
What helped for me, as I mentioned: stopping Trickster. Then everything worked fine. Then I restarted Trickster, after that both apps froze, then I stopped both via „Aktivitätsanzeige“, and after restarting both now they both work together fine. So it seems, that something in the communication between the two apps went wrong in the first place.

1 Like

No, I’m sorry, that’s not the case. I had deleted all versions and installed the newest vesion, but the problem still remained (see my other post some minutes ago).

But I’m glad, that now everything works fine! Thanks!

We’ve now released Trickster 3.9.1 which improves integration with Hookmark, in part by not referring to it by its previous name, “Hook”, but by Bundle ID instead, which hasn’t changed).

As part of the change, there are also improvements to how Hookmark <> Trickster <> DEVONthink integration works. Trickster will now give Hookmark (if it’s invoked on a DEVONthink item in Trickster) the same callback URL that Hookmark gets from DEVONthink, instead of the underlying file inside DEVONthink’s database. Trickster will now also show Hookmark icon on DEVONthink items that have hooks.

Also, Trickster will now only show the Hookmark button in its own interface for items that have Hooks and will not show it for items that are just Bookmarks (i.e. appear in the database but are not hooked to anything).

For the better DEVONthink integration to work, though, Hookmark’s AppleScript for Trickster, the “Get Address” script should be updated to the following, @LucB:

use scripting additions
use framework "Foundation"
property NSURL : a reference to current application's NSURL

tell application "Trickster"
    set ses to selected entries
    set se to item 1 of ses
	set v to version
	if v > "3.9" then
		set filePath to (pathForHookmark of se)
		set u to NSURL's URLWithString:filePath
		set f to u's absoluteString
		return f as string
	else
		set filePath to (path of se)
		set fileUrl to NSURL's fileURLWithPath:filePath
		set f to fileUrl's absoluteString
		return f as string
	end if
end tell

I hope this helps and makes your experience of using all these apps together better.

2 Likes

super!

we also have a Setapp bundle ID with “-setapp” @bchend.

Oops. I may need to release another update for Setapp Bundle ID, then.

1 Like