Hook interferes with System Settings: causing alert sounds

I just contacted with Apple Support to solve the issue that when I open a popup window from System Settings, the alert sound keeps playing in regular intervals. After multiple troubleshooting attempts (restart, safe mode, reinstall MacOS), I came to test each app and realize Hook was the cause.

When I quit Hook, the popup window stays opened without the alert sound beeping.

Hope this bug would be fixed.
Thank you.

Hi, I won’t be able to help much, still it might be useful for the guys to know the exact OS version as well as your Hookmark version.

1 Like

updated 2022-12-20 17:36 I have replicated the issue.

Thanks for this report. That looks like macOS Ventura.

Solution for now is to turn off Hookmark > Preferences> General > Show current item’s number of hooks in menu bar icon, see if that makes a diff?

We’ll prevent badge logic from interfering with it.

Yes, it does make a difference. When I turn off Show current item’s number of hooks in menu bar icon, it stops beeping alert sound in System Setting popup window.

Hope it is fixed.
Thank you for pointing that out.

We will publish a fix today in integration service.

It will be for System Settings

tell application "System Settings" 
end tell

Hookmark Pro macOS Ventura users can add this manually to Scripts if they prefer. Or just wait for the automatic update.

Hookmark 5.1 will have a more elegant and general solution

1 Like

we have updated the script server with the fix for the macOS Ventura Settings. So users may re-enable the badge in menu bar icon when they’ve received the fix (no restart of Hookmark required :wink: .)

Thanks for the fix @LucB. I’m not sure if it was a good thing or bad but I was too focused to let it bother me!

1 Like