Hook compatibility with new browser Orion

I just started using a beta version of a new browser called Orion (https://browser.kagi.com/) that I really like but that doesn’t reveal links in Hook. I asked the Orion developers about adding compatibility with Hook and thought I’d add the thought here as well.

4 Likes

I just made a scripts for this today! I’m not sure where to suggest this be added to the official scripts set but here they are:

Get Name

tell application "Orion"
	set w to first window
	set c to current tab of w
	set u to name of c
end tell

Get Address

tell application "Orion"
	set w to first window
	set c to current tab of w
	set u to URL of c
end tell
4 Likes

Nice! Thanks bjtitus.

I also started using it after this review

Here more backround on the people who make it

The only thing that’s hold me back from making Orion my default browser is no hook suport

EDIT: the links to discord server are here

1 Like

Thank you very much for the script!

We will add it to our script server.

1 Like

I started trying out Orion browser and seeing @bjtitus’ scripts have not yet been added to the server, I added them to my Hook’s local setup. I compared @bjtitus’ scripts to Hook’s default Safari scripts (Orion is a Webkit fork). They’re a bit different. I tried shaping them closer to the default Safari scripts. No success. I reverted to @bjtitus scripts. They work fine. :ok_hand:

On my aging 2013 MacBook Pro, Orion starts 2 times faster than Safari or Brave, feels snappier and seems to use less RAM. (These are not serious benchmarks.) It’s also neat to be able to install Chrome/Firefox extensions inside this Safari-like browser. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We received our invitation to Orion and added the integration : Integration v. 210. Now anyone with a valid Updates license can access it. Thank you all !

3 Likes