Devonthink Deep Linking Update

Hello. It was great to see that Devonthink have pushed an update which allows for deep linking. See here: DEVONtechnologies | DEVONthink 3.9

It would be good to know whether this can be integrated directly within hook in some way. Is that possible?

Thanks

3 Likes

@langley Sorry for the late reply.
If there is AppleScript for getting that url, Hookmark is able to directly integrate with it. I just checked DevonThink 3.9’s AppleScript dictionary, It seems it is not there yet. For now, you can use Hookmark’s Hook to copied link function. After you copy the DevonThink deep link, you invoke Hookmark on the document that you want to link to DevonThink deep link, then click on Hook to copied link button or type shortcut command+v.

Did anyone ever figure this one out? I am interested in PDF Deeplinking in Devonthink. I have been unable to get it working thus far, but I think Devonthink does have a way to get/generate the selection link via applescript.

Not via Hook, but I now use Popclip for this with a custom extension. I can highlight text in Devonthink and Popclip gives me an option to create a selection link from a mouse click.

Could you post the popclip extension?

# popclip
name: DT Copy Selection Link
icon: iconify:game-icons:nautilus-shell
key combo: shift control option command C
required apps: [com.devon-technologies.think3]

This gives it a nautilus shell icon too

Works like a charm! Many thanks

Hello! It does look like there may be a way with AppleScript to now generate these links for different types of documents in Devonthink. Here is an image of the dictionary that shows what the developers of Devonthink added. It looks like you can append different parameters to the reference url. I just wanted to ping you on it so you can potentially add it in a future Hookmark script update. Thanks!

Thank you, @tylermcrae7 .

You are right. We will work on it.

We have updated the script server (version 321) with the support for Devonthink Deep Linking.

Could you please update Hookmark script and give it a try?

Please let us know if there is any problem.

Thank you

Could you give the specific steps in DT to create a deep link? I want to make sure I am doing it correctly. Thank you.

Great, thanks! Could this be used to deep-link not only pdf, but also other documents? Like Word docs or email stored in DNT?

Here is what I found, @yfs , @arthurwerry . For pdf document, you can get deep linking to pages, or you can get deep linking to a specific location by selecting some text.

For text documents, you can get deep linking to lines. Selecting text does not get you more information.

For entries like email and web pages, no deep linking.

But I am not a Devonthink expert, other users can correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you