Can't get Hook to work with Curio

Perhaps I’m being dense, but I can’t seem to get Hook to work with Curio and I don’t even see a script for curio in the list of Hook scripts. The three workhorses of my workflow are DEVONthink 3, Curio 14+, and Tinderbox (8.7.1, newest). I keep wanting to incorporate Hook into my workflow, but so far it’s just not happening.

I’m trying to develop a new curriculum for one of the courses I teach so we can get away from the students having to buy expensive textbooks. To that end I’m finding freely available public domain textbooks, white papers, newspaper reports, peer-reviewed materials, writing some of my own, etc. So whatever I find, I’m storing in DT3 until I have a chance to evaluate it. In Curio, I’ve been mapping out the course as it is currently taught and referencing the materials being used for the topics, etc.; I want to make sure I have good coverage by the new materials. I’m actually creating the course basis and evaluating the topic relationships and sequencing in Tinderbox. I pretty much build all projects in Tinderbox at this point; there is nothing quite like it.

I would like to be able to have a page in Curio that has Curio figure objects, etc., on it and a Hooked link to a specific note (preferably) or a container of notes (fallback), in TBX. I would also like to be able to Hook from both Curio and TBX objects/notes to specific documents stored in DT3. I can copy a hyperlink from a Curio object and paste it into a specific TBX note, but that’s not really what I want. I want to Hook from one to the other without having the link dropped into the TBX note text. Plus, that approach doesn’t create a link from Curio to TBX, only from TBX to Curio.

Perhaps I’m asking for the impossible, but it is likely I just don’t know how to properly use Hook in this situation, even if it seems it would be perfect for the job. If anyone can help me understand how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it. Please bear in mind that coding is not my thing, I’m a mere zoologist, chemist, environmental scientist who did some programming in BASIC about one million years ago.

Thanks for asking about Curio integration, @ChemBob. Have you checked out Curio a Cognitive Tool for Researchers and Creatives – Hook? it explains two options for how Copy Link and Hook to Copied Link should work in Curio. The reason you’re not seeing any script for Curio is that Hook now relies on its default integration mechanism, so hooking with Curio on a document basis works ‘out of the box’, with no script required. The rationale for that design and an option is described there. In particular, a Curio document can have many items, so it would be hard to find the item that has the hooks one is looking for.

I.e. if you want Hook’s contextual window to serve and present links from the currently selected object only, as opposed to the whole document, you can use the alternative scripts that we shared.

One thing I should have mentioned in the Curio blog post is that in Curio every object can have notes (“Show Notes Inspector”). You can also paste links there. That lets you create deep links from the object.

I think it would be useful for users to be able to associate two sets of scripts in Hook for a given app and to be able to switch dynamically between. It would then be possible/ useful for Hook to provide a “Copy as Deep Link” for cases where the default is document-wide links — that way users could get the best of both worlds.

1 Like

Hi Luc! Thanks for the help. Sorry I’m slow to respond; I basically quit working on everything yesterday afternoon. I’m beginning to think that having 100 students in three sections of one and one section of another of two very different courses at two colleges might be a bit much for being 70 years old, LOL. Especially true for now having to build a curriculum for one of them.

I had read the link, but for for some reason couldn’t seem to locate the alternative script anywhere; this morning I found it. Surprisingly it is so simple I think even I understand it. I’ve installed it and done a very quick test that appears to be working. The Curio object seems to open the note in TBX in outline view, which is fine, and the TBX note can take me back to the Curio object. If I were to connect one or both of these to a file in DT3, is it possible to have an option in Hook to select which one I want to go to? Like I said, I’ve had the full Hook version for a while and am still trying to incorporate it, so that might be a stupid question, but I thought I’d ask anyway.

Again, thanks for everything. I look forward to having this new capability in my projects.

Bob

1 Like

Thanks for asking, Bob. You can hook as many items to a DT file (or anything else) as you like. Then when you invoke Hook on the DT file, you will see a list of HOOKED ITEMS to choose from.

Cheers,

Luc

sounds like that would be challenging for anyone! Plus all the other stuff you do…