I stay lightly up to date with their releases and plans in their Slack community, and use it a bit every single day for some structured activities.
- No API exposed yet, so
Hook to New isn’t low-hanging fruit.
- URL scheme is really opaque and looks like this for two different pages:
- It’s regularly changing for the same page in some conditions, but after a quick trial, might be safe in the face of renaming or moving stuff around in Tana; more tests or docs required to be sure about what’s going on and what can be expected.
- No app on the radar, and when they make one, expect Electron.
- They’re focussed on getting it right, making it easier and more useful. Sadly, most users don’t ask for linkability.
Tana is really nice about semantic data organization. It feels like the most flexible and easiest way to mix text and data bits naturally together, and still have the data bits be usable outside of their initial context. Write a few sentences anywhere, tag some part as
#something, and this
#something is added to a structured Something database that can be used later with queries, filters, views, etc., a la Notion.
In contrast with Notion, there’s no need to browse to the Something database to add a new row: from anywhere, as soon as you tag
#something, the expected attributes for a row of this Something database appear and become fillable for your use directly where you are. Brilliant, especially for e.g. habit tracking and structured journaling of all sorts (reading logs, mood tracking…), when you don’t want to feel like you’re always navigating tables of data.
Hook to New would be exceedingly useful in Tana: let’s say I hook this webpage to a new Tana page and write a few notes:
required: an API or new URL scheme, or we can’t make progress
next check: 2023 Q2
- Do they have an app?
- Not soon, and expect Electron.
Then, later, if I visit the Scripting database, I can sort its rows and group them by app, etc., and remember to check for Tana’s progress next quarter. And, thanks to Hookmark’s bidirectional links, browse straight back here to continue this discussion.
Sincerely, I feel Hookmark and Tana would make an exceedingly great match, once it’s possible.
Feb 15, 2023: Made some technical edits about URL Scheme above.