Any way to program a hotkey that would activate Hook and access an item in the Share Menu?

Hey All

Does anyone know if there’s a hotkey for the share menu when activating Hook? The reason I ask is that I want to be able to use hook to save web page bookmarks into Telegram which is then sent to my Daily notes page in Roam

Right now, it’s a cumbersome process to do all this manually in the Mac. Wondering if there’s a hotkey or maybe some kind of keyboard maestro script that could automate it

Thing is hook actually automatically pastes the copied link into telegram when I click on it in the share menu… it just takes a loooot of steps as you can see below

CleanShot 2021-05-10 at 01.04.52

there isn’t. And in my attempts at System Preferences> Keyboard Shortcuts for this hierarchical menu (per macos - Set keyboard shortcut for nested menu selection - Ask Different) failed.

We’ll look at adding one. Makes sense for Hook to optimize this function. Thanks for bringing it up.

Do you use Keyboard Maestro? If so, I have a macro I could share that does what you want.

@LucB – come to think of it, seamless ability to access the shortcut menu can be another avenue for implementing the “New note” feature for non compatible apps

@Rob - I actually do use Keyboard Maestro – but sort of lightweight – if you can offer any scripts, Id really appreciate it

1 Like

You may have to modify this depending on screen resolution etc. , but here are the steps it goes through:

1. Execute Macro… - this is just another three-step KBM macro that 1) Activates Hook, 2) Pauses for 0.4 seconds and 3) invokes the hotkey to open the Hook window

2. pause for 0.4 seconds

3. finds this image in the HOok window:
    CleanShot 2021-05-10 at 14.37.32

4. Clicks on the drop-down menu (i.e. left-most icon in the image) - this is where the click point may vary on your machine, so you may have to play around with the coordinates

5. Types “A” for Advanced

6. Types a right-arrow to open the next drop down

7. Types “S” to Share

8. Types another right arrow

9. here, you can ignore my last two "A"s (which highlight a program I like to Add To) - for your purposes, it looks like “T” would highlight Telegram. At that point, you could either manually hit the Return Key or, if you live on the edge, just have KBM type the “Return” and you won’t have to do anything.

Hook Share Link Macro (v9.2)

3 Likes

Thanks @Rob … It worked! Not sure why you needed the image though as the ctrl+t hotkey also opens the dropdown menu.

Guess only thing I need now is for it to click on the correct channel on the telegram prompt!

1 Like

Well, thank YOU! Ctrl-T is indeed the way to go - never knew about that hotkey!!

1 Like