1Password (or other password manager)

Hi,

I am currently using 1Password, which does not seem to be linkable. However, since the upcoming version (8) will drop the native Mac app in favor of a cross-platform electron app, i am already looking into alternatives anyway (hopefully hook-able!)

Any suggestion?
Thanks.

Hook now has a work-around you can use with any app that has a Copy Link function (which 1p has):

1. you can manually use its “copy link” function" and then
  2. Focus on Link in Clipboard ; there you can rename the bookmark if you want

with the URL, you can also use Hook to Copied Link .

Thanks @LucB!
I cannot find the “Copy Link” action, but maybe that is because i am using the non-cloud version?

There’s no cloud version of Hook. You can sync to iCloud but that does not affect the UI.

Sorry, i meant i do not have a menu entry Copy URL in 1Password.

When using Hook on a 1P entry, i get “no hookable items found”.

you can manually use its “copy link” function

I do not have a “Copy Link” function in my 1Password 7. Can you elaborate where to find it?

Thanks

If you right-click on an item in 1Password, you can find copy link in the share menu.

1 Like

Hey tony,
thanks, but it’s not showing up for me. Will ask 1P directly.

Here’s how I copy private links in 1password 7:

1. select an entry
  2. click on share button in top right corner
  3. select Copy Private Link

Share buttons are common in macOS apps.

or using menubar:

You can define a keyboard shortcut if you do this a lot.

I’ve heard 1password is developing or has developed an Electron version of their app. (Some other devs are going the other way.) In any event, that will have a non-native UI, and presumably look different .

Thanks Luc for coming back to this!
I cannot copy it because i am using the local version of 1P.

Oh right. Well a work around (hack) is to associate a unique ID to the note, and hook that to the item. Hook has an advanced menu ID generate ( AppleScript would do; or a convention to generate IDs that make sense for your passwords) then you can use Hook’s Copy a Search Link from Clipboard, and Hook that. Of course, the search link won’t have what you’re looking for, but it will contain a search item you can then use in 1p.

Gear Menu – Hook

(Of course the ID would not be the password, but something associated with the password that you could search for.)

I imagine it could be taken a step further with automation that would parse the link to extract the ID. Perhaps something for Hook to have in the future, where the hyperlink’s execution gets copied to clipboard . A new hook scheme, like hook://copy-to-clipboard/ …
Anyone have some other uses for that?