Zotero 6/beta compatibility

No, in Zotero 6, the pdf linked to the item (entry in the library) may be opened in the Zotero itself and my request is to link when the user is in the PDF reader view.
Zotero Blog » Blog Archive » Zotero 6: Your research workflow, transformed

Currently is not possible to link while to pdf is open, either I need to click to go back to the library( and lose track of the open pdf) or use the Zotero shortcut to create a link to an item in the library that contains the pdf I am currently reading

Both solutions aren’t ideal for me

• the first one is disrupting my flow
  • the second one is sufficient, but I currently use the shortcut key combination used for linking URI with other apps active in the background. Ideally, I would like to use Hook to link everywhere.

So was my idea/brainstorming for new integration, which work also for pdf open:
If the app gives the information via shortcut is possible to create Apple Script for Hook that will get the output into Hook? The Zotero gives what we need - Markdown URI without using Zotext in the background I think, but Hook currently doesn’t “hook” to this

1 Like

is there any way in its UI to get a URL to the current PDF? Is this being discussed on its roadmap?

1 Like

This is a sufficiently new extension of functionality that I would recommend copy/pasting your request into a new topic.

1 Like

Sorry for being chaotic, my post for someone who doesn’t use the app might be confusing.

What I am looking/want to achieve is really similar to what already exists.
So basically I want to get a link in such (current) form

[EEG Frontal Asymmetry in Dysthymia, Major Depressive Disorder and Euthymic Bipolar Disorder](zotero://select/items/1_J3J6DJ28)

My problem is that with the release of Zotero 6 I started using a built-in PDF reader in Zotero. I still can get link via Hook from Library view as before, but I cannot get link to item when I am viewing this item as pdf in the Zotero window.

Zotero offers quick copy functionality (shift + cmd +c) which copies an item in the selected bibliography style.
Via this functionality, I am able to copy the link to the item even when I open it as pdf (so reader pane is active and no longer page with collections)
[EEG Frontal Asymmetry in Dysthymia, Major Depressive Disorder and Euthymic Bipolar Disorder](zotero://select/items/1_J3J6DJ28)

When someone has different settings for quick copy, that person just get a formatted bibliography position (not markdown link) and in this sense, I was wrong because it will not work for everyone

My question above was not the request to developers @LucB for a new feature but more bump to the other users who use/know AppleScript, commented here and could make my idea working :slight_smile:
With specific setting the Zotero windows after shift+cmd+c will output a nice formatted markdown link with Zotero URI, what I need to know is only how to simulate those keystrokes on active Zotero windows through hook via AppleScript

About opening PDF in Zotero: before (I Zotero 5) I was able to open pdf by subtituting part of Zotero URI, know I dont know if this still works, bc I dont use it and I am not sure I am needing this
For me now enough is if I could get hooked what this quick copy shorcut gives me (it doesnt need processing it is alread markdown + URI)

1 Like

Hey - still just getting to (very basic) terms with Hook. Zotero 6 has been out for a while now, and I’m wondering if the two internal Hook scripts (one of which is specifically for the Zotero 6 beta) need updating? At the moment, I’m not seeing any way for Hook to interact with Zotero, though perhaps I’m simply failing to understand how to execute the internal scripts. Thanks.

Version 207 of our scripts were published April 4 or so. Is it possible you have overridden the integration script (Hook > Preferences > Scripts > Zotero) ?

Hmm. The scripts are there and up to date. Looking at Privacy in System settings, Hook hasn’t requested access/doesn’t have access to Zotero. The Zotero app isn’t listed for Hook, and I suppose it’s possible I clicked no at some point when first experimenting with Hook. Is there some way to reset that access / automation request?

yes:

1. tccutil reset Accessibility com.cogsciapps.hook
  2. reboot your Mac.

per No Linkable Item in … – Hook.

Thanks for that - I’ve done that, restarted everything, and I’m still seeing the same issue: Zotero is not appearing in the list of apps Hook has requested to control in the Automation panel.

1. I ran the tccutil Accessibility reset as provided above, restarted, re-enabled hook in Accessibility.
  2. I’ve checked the steps here - https://hookproductivity.com/help/hook-window/no-resource-detected/, in particular steps 5,8, 9.
  3. Since the Accessibility reset didn’t work, I tried tccutil reset AppleEvents, which removed hook from the Automation panel, then restarted, then tried everything again, but Zotero still doesn’t appear as an option to enable/disable.

I’m running the Version 3.6 beta (4771; Integration v. 218) and haven’t touched the scripts.

Any further thoughts? Thanks.

HI @lutefish Did you try to install this extension? egh/zotxt: zotxt: a Zotero extension for text (github.com)

It was needed in some older version of the scripts, also it only works with items in library pane not for hooking opened pdfs

1 Like

@echej - Brilliant. Zotxt was the missing, umm, link for links. Many thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for helping out @echej .

We’re trying to roll out Using Hook With <App> pages, one per app, that lists any particularities of using Hook with the app. That saves users scrolling through the forum entry. E.g., there is a page, Using Hook With Timing. They all have pretty much the same format.

When we haven’t written a Using Hook With <App> page, we sometimes link from the Linkable Mac Apps page to the pertinent forum topic.

Maybe we at CogSci Apps should develop a way to crowdsource this so that we’re not a bottleneck for new users. We find those pages useful too because we are tracking a lot of apps.

2 Likes