Why do hookmark links sometimes fail?

Thank you for the info, @xiangshu .

Could you please do a test? If the original link does not work after renaming a file, could you please wait longer, up to 2 hours. If it still does not work, then restart Hookmark and see if it solves problem.

Thank you

No problem!
I will conduct two tests based on your information:

1. After renaming the file, if the original link becomes invalid, no new link will be created. Wait 2 hours or restart Hookmark to check the result.
  2. After renaming the file, if the original link fails, create a new link, wait 2 hours or restart Hookmark to check the result.
    The main difference between the two tests is whether or not I use the renamed file to create a new link after the original link has failed. I will post the test results later.

I’ve done a preliminary test and the results are still the same as they were at the beginning.
The links to the first file (that is, the original file, the file that has not been renamed) are always valid, but starting from the second file (that is, the file that was renamed for the first time), as long as the file is renamed, the previous one The link to the file will become invalid.
That is to say, renaming the original file a second time and generating a third file will invalidate the link to the second file. The fourth file will invalidate the link to the third file.

My waiting time is at least 2 hours, and I also adjusted the order of generating links and waiting, and still got the same result. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Thank you, @xiangshu .

The test: Why do hookmark links sometimes fail? - #4 by xiangshu
shows that changing the file name twice then the original link becomes valid. That’s interesting.

Could you please do a test and see if there is a pattern?
(1)Copy link of file A
(2)Wait a couple of minutes, rename file A
(3)Check if the original file link works
(4)Wait a couple of minutes, rename file a again
(5)Check if the original file link works
(6)Wait a couple of minutes, rename file a again
(7)Check if the original file link works

Thank you

No problem Bchend!
I conducted two more tests on two different new files and reproduced the same results:

1. No matter how many times you rename file A, the link to the source file is always valid. And after obtaining links to the renamed files “A-2”, “A-3”, etc., the source file links are still valid.
  2. Invalid links: Starting from file “A-2” (that is, the first renamed file of file A), there will be a problem of invalid links. Details are as follows:
    2.1. When A-2 has generated a link, rename file A-2 to A-3 and do not obtain the link of A-3. The link of A-2 is still valid.
    2.2. When A-2 has generated a link, rename file A-2 to A-3 and obtain the link of A-3. The link of A-2 becomes invalid.
    2.3. The same results to A-3, A-4 and A-x.

Just want to make sure I understand this correctly. When you say the link to the source file is always valid, do you mean the link to the source file can open the file A-2, A-3…?

Thank you

Yes, that’s what it means!

Thank you, @xiangshu . That’s better than I thought.

Could you please try:
(1)Copy link of file A
(2) Rename file A to A1
(3)Check if the original file link can open A1, if not , wait until it can. (check every few seconds)
(4)Do copy link to file A1
(5) Post the original link and the link to file A1 here

Thank you

Hi Bchend!
Link of file A can always open these rename files.
Here are links of file A and A1.

1. Link of file A:
    [20240229-Whydohookmarklinkssometimesfail_-Discussion&Help-HookmarkForum-3.pdf] (hook://file/coONpcv6a?p=Q2xvdWRTdG9yYWdlL1N5bm9sb2d5RHJpdmUtUmVzaWxpb1N5bmM=&n=20240229%2DWhydohookmarklinkssometimesfail%5F%2DDiscussion%26Help%2DHookmarkForum%2D3%2Epdf)
  2. Link of file A1:
    [20240229-Why.pdf] (hook://file/coPBbLQVa?p=Q2xvdWRTdG9yYWdlL1N5bm9sb2d5RHJpdmUtUmVzaWxpb1N5bmM=&n=20240229%2DWhy%2Epdf)

If you need the file I used to test, fell free to let me know.

Thank you, @xiangshu .

How do you rename the files? Do you rename them in Finder?

Thank you

Yes, I rename the files in Finder. And the folder where the files are stored is the synchronization folder of Synology NAS.

Hi Bchend, Is there any progress on this issue?

Hi Xiangshu,

If your Hookmark is purchased from Paddle, please execute the following command in Terminal.app:
“defaults write com.cogsciapps.hook file.event.excluded.exception.paths /Users/[your user_name]/Library/CloudStorage”

If your Hookmark is from Setapp, please execute the following command in Console:
“defaults write com.cogsciapps.hook-setapp file.event.excluded.exception.paths /Users/[your user_name]/Library/CloudStorage”

Please note that you need to replace “[user_name]” with the real user name. After executing the command, please restart Hookmark.

Thanks.

Brian

Wow! Thank you Brian! This command works for me. I’ll keep watching for a while longer.
There is a small detail in this process: before running this command in Terminal, you need to use “sudo -I” to obtain root permissions. It is convenient for friends with the same problem to get help.

Having said that, is this command to enable Hookmark to obtain permissions to the CloudStorage folder? Unexpectedly, the solution is right in front of us.