Using Hook with Outlook for Mac

So because of the lack of AppleScript support we’re essentially out of luck? Is there any other way to potentially capture the outloook message ID? Or are we going to be required to “print to PDF” or some other hack. Understand that Microsoft doesn’t play well with others…

1 Like

Has anyone figured out this issue with the new Outlook? What is interesting is that old Hook links to Outlook I made before I moved to the new Outlook still work – they bring up the emails I originally linked to. How is that working? What are these Hook links linking to that still work in the new Outlook?

Yes, they do work. But new outlook does not allow creating links in other apps (except MA ToDo)

Any change here? Is Outlook for Mac currently supported? I tried it just now and got an error message.

According to Microsoft 365 Roadmap - Latest Updates | Microsoft 365, General Availability is scheduled for March 2023. Quite postponed…

1 Like

Still, March 2023. I hope they implement it

It looks like it was implemented this month in Outlook, but I’m still not able to link to an item. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Looks to have been pushed back to November 2023 for rollout :disappointed_relieved:

Thanks for the update, @vcbrewers . I sure hope they expose the RFC-5322 compliant email ID . Do you have any visibility of that? If Hookmark community can give feedback to Microsoft to ensure they do that, it would be better for everyone. Their prior IDs were brittle – did not even work across the same user’s Outlook databases on different Macs.

By using RFC compliant IDs, like Apple and some others do, the email links are exchangeable within and between users. I encourage the community to spread the word to their network and organizations about this. The more people know about email links the better it will be for all. It’s aligned with the Manifesto for Ubiquitous Linking.

1 Like

Unfortunately, all I know is from their roadmap - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?featureid=88537

1 Like

I am sure this is the last of Microsoft’s worries. With their push into enterprise, people will be forced to use Outlook even if it’s the least of their personal preferences.

1 Like

I’m not holding my breath for anything Microsoft. However, I am an optimist with respect to linking interoperability. Many developers either already have or have added linking interoperability to their software: https://hookproductivity.com/what-mac-apps-are-compatible-with-hook-app

The more we spread the word about the Manifesto for Ubiquitous Linking, the more devs will follow suit. It’s partly a matter of helping some of their brass, all the way to the CEO, understand the importance/relevance of this.

Let’s continue on social media and in our companies to people understand that they should prefer software that is linkable. And also: it’s very little effort to support this. All mail apps already must deal with RFC ID’s. It’s part of the spec.

I’m looking forward to Mimestream adding this functionality. They are committed to it, a question of time.

1 Like

Well MS once again pushed the rollout start date for applescript support in the new outlook for mac, to Nov. 2023 this time…

This is upsetting…

1 Like

I think the key is to ensure that their Apple Script has the right API. AppleScript in itself is not enough. We need the RFC-5322 ID, not just a local /transient ID nor a MS proprietary ID.

A transient ID does not work across user’s devices nor does it survive uninstalling and reinstalling outlook on a particular map.

And proprietary IDs would not work across different mail apps from different vendors.

We know for a fact that every mail app understands the RFC 5322 ID. All they need to do is expose that ID and allow emails to be open with them, and of course expose the subject of the email.

1 Like

Now they pushed it to december 2024 !!!
I am disapointed, yet I should now better…

3 Likes