Using Hook with Fantastical by Flexibits

As many of you know, we at CogSci Apps received many requests for Fantastical integration. We worked with Flexibits over the summer who kindly provided an API allowing us to integrate Hook with Fantastical.

We’ve now written up

some use cases include copying links to Fantastical dates and pasting them into task lists and meeting notes; and hooking a meeting agenda to a fantastical date. Other use cases are mentioned in the help page.

Please feel free to let readers here know how you’re using Hook with Fantastical.

6 Likes

This is probably the integration I use the most. Whenever I get a new meeting I need to prepare for I use Hook to create a new Obsidian note and add a task there to prep. Then when it comes to the day I can easily bring up my notes and agenda for each meeting. I also Hook between related meetings (E.g. staff management one-on-ones) so I can easily refer to last meeting’s notes.

Then in other meetings if I unexpectedly need to make a note it’s super simple to use Hook to create a new Draft (my default Hook to New).

3 Likes

Hi - this sounds interesting! But how do you create a new Obsidian document from Hook? I can’t find it in my list of apps for the “Hook to new…” entry.

Many thanks for any suggestions or examples!

4 Likes

Thanks! I‘ll give it a try.

1 Like

This is very useful, Thanks so much!

1 Like

does this not work with the menu bar of fantastical? i cant get it to work. it only appears to work when you open the full calendar view
@LucB

Interesting. I wasn’t aware of that feature. But I’ve now looked into it.

Hook is a contextual app, and the context is always initially defined by the app that is in the foreground while Hook is running. Fantastical’s menu item is not technically in the foreground. So Hook would not send the request to Fantastical.

As soon as one interacts with another app, Hook or other, the Fantastical selection menu item selection is cleared. So if you could run the AppleScript that Hook uses to get Fantastical info, Fantastical would (at best) answer in terms of the selection in its full calendar window.

Also, I don’t see a way to copy links from the Fantastical Menu. If they did provide such an option, one could then feed that link into Hook, and get what was Hooked to it.

I can’t see a way of getting around these limitations at the moment.