Trickster 3.4 by Apparent Software Shows and Enables you to Access your Hooks

Earlier this week, Apparent Software updated its Trickster app for quickly viewing and retrieving recently modified apps. Version 3.4 of Trickster includes additional support for Hook. Now Trickster

1. shows you whether a file is hooked to something else (whatever that may be) by presenting a Hook icon to the right of the item,
  2. enables you to access Hook by clicking on the menu bar icon next to Hook.

The update is described in Trickster’s in-app release notes, and on the Hook productivity blog with a screenshot and extra information.

Congratulations to Apparent Software for being the first app developer (to our knowledge) to leverage Hook’s new automation API in their app! The API was introduced in Hook 1.5 earlier this month.

Trickster users will recall that they can also invoke Hook in the context of Trickster in the usual way (such as via ⌘⇧SPACE or Hook’s menu bar icon).

We’re delighted about this integration between two Canadian apps that are focused on helping you quickly retrieve the information resources you need.

2 Likes

Developer of Trickster here.
I believe this integration adds a lot of value to people who use both apps. I’m also open to additional suggestions to Trickster’s integration with Hook, and we’ll look into them. Thanks.

4 Likes

I’m not currently using Trickster, but I have in the past and I’m a fan. This is great to see!

2 Likes

Ed, There’s an answer in the blog post that the OP links to.

This is amazing. For the same reason I’m now able to use Trickster, I can now use Hook and this integration just blew my mind. AMAZING work.

3 Likes

I have run into what feels like an inconsistency with the Trickser integration. While I see regular hooked files with the Hook icon, Hook files don’t show it. More to the point, when I activate Hook on a Hook file in Trickster, it appears to have no hooks associated with it, so I need to go to the Hook file location and then activate Hook.

From within Trickster:
Screenshot 2020-07-02 09.46.26

Same Hook file from its location:
Screenshot 2020-07-02 09.47.27

.hook files are a special case.

do you have the same issue with other types of files, i.e., other than .hook?

Not that I’m aware of. I’m a new user, though.

I would consider the integration between Trickster and Hook in the case with .hook files to be a special , not particularly urgent case in the grand scheme of things. They are like aliases and .webloc files. You could use Reveal File in Finder to see the .hook file in Finder, and then invoke Hook directly on it if you want. Or open the .hook file which will access its target (as opening an alias or .webloc file would), and use Hook from there.

For more info: Make Hook File – Hook

1 Like

Thanks. I understand why they’re a special case now. What you suggest is what I have done. I’m not yet quite seeing what .hook files give me that hooks to normal files don’t. I need to read more of the documentation.

I’ve put an answer here: Some uses of .hook files

1 Like