Proactive Hook notification that Hooks exist in current context

Hook’s sheer… invisibility… keeps it out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

It’s super-useful, but I mainly use it to paste links into OmniFocus notes fields, DEVONthink notes, Keyboard Maestro macros, and Numbers sheets. Where I can see them.

This is how my brain works. Propinquity is key. Hook is really well suited for this, but I feel like I’m only scratching the surface of what it could be doing for me.

1 Like

Hi all, this might be uselful: Xbar Script: Show count of hooked documents in menu bar - Showcases and Use Cases - Hook Productivity Forum

5 Likes

As a new user, I was just thinking “I need to know if something has an existing hook”. It’s an obvious progression. Apple Notes with Quick Notes is moving that way, at least with webpages. When I go to a page, the corresponding quick notes pops up.

1 Like

Blockquote On a big monitor, that might not satisfy those who want a bigger notification.

This is spot-on. In fact, even on a smaller monitor, I notice the status bar icon far too infrequently for this to be a sufficient solution to take full advantage of Hook. After using the software for 2+ years, the objective of having Hook become something more than a helpful little link-copying utility is still unrealized.

There are commenters here who wanted the status bar used so it wouldn’t clog up their notification center, and others who want notifications used so it is more visible and/or doesn’t clog up their already-clogged menu bar.

Since the former has already been implemented, my hope is that it will be a relatively trivial task for Hook to add notifications as an opt-in, in the event the menu bar does not offer sufficient visibility.

It has been far from gratifying hacking together an Obj-C script, which still needs notarization, just so I can try and access the AXStatusMenu ‘help’ field and retrieve data which the app, itself, can access directly. So, since my data is already in this app, and it is is already configured to request notification center privileges – and doesn’t need accessibility permissions to get the necessary info – I hope this small-but-consequential update gets priority billing in an upcoming update.

The greatness of this app does not exclude the possibility that it could become much, much better. Even with a small tweak.

1 Like

@Nardo Sorry it seems I am not understanding something here. could you please elaborate on your feature request?

Apologies if I wasn’t clear. I’m requesting that users be given an option to receive proactive notifications when Hooks exist in the current context. The current functionality is to show a badge on the status bar, and this is not configurable as an actual notification.

Thank you, now I understand. I will submit a feature request for this.

I just changed the menu bar icon size from default to large by going to System Preferences, Accessibility, Display, Display.Then look for Menu Bar Size and switch to Large. log out and log in. It helps a little bit.

2 Likes

Thank you for additional info, much appreciated. We are on the same page ; our product road map has a feature to address the underlying need, and it is expected to finally be available in a software Update in Q2 or Q3.