Outlook Mac app and Hook

Is there a way to make the hook links to outlook emails work when I change to another Mac? I was excited to see hook being able to generate email links but they break when I change to a different machine.

Unfortunately per Linkable Mac Applications

The following three email apps are supported but we cannot recommend them because the email IDs or URLs they expose are not compliant with RFC 5322 – Internet Message Format. This means the links cannot be shared with others and are not guaranteed to work on different Macs – even of the same user.

The following three email apps are supported but we cannot recommend them because the email IDs or URLs they expose are not compliant with RFC 5322 – Internet Message Format. This means the links cannot be shared with others and are not guaranteed to work on different Macs – even of the same user.

which is why we cannot recommend those apps.

I’m connected to a Microsoft VIP who, on our behalf, will request of Microsoft that they expose RFC-5322 compliant email ID’s in their automation.

that document lists

Thank you @LucB
I’m stuck with Outlook for my work related mails and it’s the biggest constraint in my workflow improvement. I’m glad that hook can now generate the outlook mail links. That’s a great first step. Hope rest can follow…

Very strange, because my Spark email app links work great across my iMac, MacBook, and iPhone.

1 Like

If it at least works for same individual, as you suggest, I’m delighted and we’ll update the documentation accordingly.

If you were to share a link to an email, Foo, that you send with Spark to someone, assuming they have Spark and the email, will their (the recipient) activating that URL open the email in question? i.e., will Spark open email Foo on their device?

Does Sparks’ URL encode the RFC-5322 that we can extract?

Oh, for that I’m not sure. Maybe I misunderstood. I’m solo, and never collaborate on emails with others, so what I’m saying is my version of Hook works perfectly across both my macOS machines (one is running Catalina and the other Big Sur), and my iOS devices (an iPad and iPhone.)

I use Outlook for work, and the links work on my macOS devices, but not on my iOS devices. That’s fine though, because I’m always working from my Mac when I’m working – I don’t necessarily need iOS compatibility.

For Spark, however, I’m able to copy a link via Hook to an email in Spark and save it to an app like OmniFocus. I can then click that link on any macOS/iOS device and be taken to the email in question in the native Spark app.

Sorry if I’m not making sense – hopefully that clears it up a bit more.

1 Like