Hook with Tinderbox 8

I’m trying to get Hook to work with Tinderbox. Version 8 supports appleScript. With that I was able get the name:

tell application "Tinderbox 8"
	tell front document's selection
		set theNames to name
	end tell
end tell

and the address of a note:

tell application "Tinderbox 8"
	tell front document's selection
		set noteURLs to value of attribute "NoteURL"
	end tell
end tell

To open an item I’m using this script:

set note_id to "$0"
                tell application "Tinderbox"
                activate
                open location note_url
                end tell

That script selects the correct note, but the text window isn’t in sync with with the selected note. I asked for help on the Tinderbox forum, but maybe someone here knows if there is something wrong in the scripts? I’m a beginner with appleScript and tried to put things together based on examples I found.

1 Like

Do you need to set the ?select, ?view or ?pane attributes? From this link it looks like you’re just getting the document URL.

http://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref7/index/ObjectsConcepts/Concepts/TinderboxURLschema.html

Thanks for the pointer to the website. I think the proper attributes are set. Here is an example of a full link I’m getting when I invoke Hook on a note:

tinderbox://myWiki2/Academic Disciplines/Social Sciences/Psychology?view=outline+select=1555427616;

That should be ?select not +select shouldn’t it? Is that the problem?

Tried to make that change:

tinderbox://myWiki2/Academic Disciplines/Social Sciences/Psychology?view=outline?select=1555427616;

but that opens a new tab (with the view that was currently active, which might not be the outline view I’m requesting).

I did one more test: I selected in tinderbox from the note’s menu (instead of using my appleScript in Hook) to get the url. This produces this link:

tinderbox://myWiki2/?view=outline+select=1555427616;

which leaves out the path compared to what I had. However, same difference, the note gets selected but the text shown in the editor belongs to whatever note was selected previously. I think I’m going to ask the Tinderbox guys.

It’s a bug in the way Tinderbox 8 interacts with scripts. Scripting was added to Tinderbox about a week before v8 was released, and is not fully fleshed out. I suggest you skip the forums and write Mark Bernstein (bernstein at Eastgate dot com) directly with your questions and suggestions – he is open for exposing more commands in the Tinderbox dictionary for people who want to script.

Working for me with the Name and Address scripts shown here:

2 Likes

Hey all :slight_smile:

Linking to notes within Tinderbox (and getting to them) would be awesome! So, would love to know if there is a solid solution available or still in the works.

2 Likes

Thanks for asking, @trianta. Our Tinderbox prime will be back next week and will answer that one. Our goal is to optimally integrate with all the major personal information managers.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay on this one.

We spent time on other Hook projects (1.2., 1.3, etc.). we also concluded in the summer that Tinderbox would require digging deeper into it, given that none of us was a user of the app at the time and the app is special.

I started a new thread related to what we expect to be upcoming support for it: Tinderbox and Hook - Discussion & Help - Hook Productivity Forum.

Cheers

@RobTrew generously offered some great scripts integrating Hook and Tinderbox deeply which will be included by @grahamb in Hook’s integration per Tinderbox and Hook - Discussion & Help - Hook Productivity Forum.

1 Like

per another post, this has been available in Integration scripts since 2019-12-08 (v 94).