Hook integration scripts v. 128 are now available — Updated support for Zengobi's Curio app

Hook integration scripts v. 128 is now available. We’ve updated the integration scripts for the Curio app by @georgezengobi — a user-friendly note-taking, brainstorming and mind-mapping app for the Mac. With experience with Curio, we’ve found that Hook’s default scripts to get the address and name of Curio items are more suitable for hooking Curio documents to other resources. Curio provides a keyboard shortcut and menu command for getting deep links, which can also be applied to Hook to Copied Link. So now users can get the best of both worlds.

If you prefer the previous integration or want to better understand the trade-offs, please visit the new Using Hook with Curio help page. The previous Curio script is very brief and easy to swap in.

We’ve also published a blog post that showcases Curio, a Cognitive Tool for Researchers and Creatives. You will notice in the blog post that Curio supports multiple forms of deep linking, including deep links to PDFs! That means that with Curio, you can copy a link to a specific selection of text and paste it anywhere! You can even use it in Hook to Copied Link.

To my knowledge, Curio is the first Mac app on the market to programmatically support deep linking to content in PDFs. So congratulations @georgezengobi ! Your support for linking, automated and in the UI, is deeply commendable.

How to get the updated integration

Hook’s automatic software update (if enabled) automatically updates Hook’s integration scripts without you needing to relaunch Hook. Using Hook’s Check for App Updates and Update Scripts command also updates the scripts, without you needing to relaunch Hook.

We also bundle Hook’s integration scripts with the Hook installer itself, of course.

*2020-08-16 08:51: The previous version of this post referred to the release as v. 127 rather than 128.

1 Like

Not sure that I have understood the relationship between:

Hook integration scripts v. 127 is now available.

and what I am seeing here (macOS 10.15.6) when I invoke an update after relaunching Hook (which reports scripts version 122)

PS even after reinstalling the app from a fresh download, it still shows 122 rather than 127 …

Screenshot 2020-08-16 at 16.25.01

that’s strange. Is there possibly a port blocker blocking Hook’s update check? Did you try clicking the Check Now button. If Hook cannot connect at that point, it should present an error message in a dialog box. (The preferences Updates tab would still say “last checked”, which we should probably change to only update when the check is successful.)

Do you still see a Curio script in Hook’s Preferences > Scripts tab? As of v. 128 , to interact with Curio Hook relies on Hook’s default script. It should also show the updated script for Bear: No linkable item in Bear - #4 by LucB (assuming of course one has not overridden them).

Also, I’ve updated the post to correctly refer to v. 128 rather than v. 127.

Little Snitch was switched off. Nothing else installed.

Yes, repeatedly : -)

No error message.

Yes.

Nothing overridden (and fresh reinstall)

Bear shows this for Get Address

and this for Get Name:

Check now yields:

Screenshot 2020-08-16 at 17.38.52

(I’m correcting my correction. My 1.8 instance has in fact updated to scripts v 128 [as advertised]. So I’m back in the dark about what’s happening.)

Thanks for all the info, Rob.

Any chance you no longer have write permission to
~/Library/Application\ Support/com.cogsciapps.hook/DefaultAppAppleScript.plist ? that’s the file that Hook’s Script update mechanism updates.

otherwise, could you please send us relevant snips via PIM or email , if any, of the Console output , filtering for Hook during an update check? I’m sure you know this, but for others who might not, it’s described by Apple here: View log messages in Console on Mac - Apple Support

No, I turn out to have Read & Write access to that. staff and everyone have Read only

I’ve sent you an update console log by PM

I also tried deleting ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.cogsciapps.hook/DefaultAppAppleScript.plist manually, and running another update.

A new version of the plist was created, but still ver 122.

Thanks for all this, Rob. A dev here has been looking into this and will have a look at the console too. Thanks for your patience and all the info.

Perhaps in the meanwhile an alternative channel for the vanilla copy of the updated .plist ?

I’ve created a new forum topic in the Bug Report category to discuss this issue: Failure to update to latest integration scripts - Bug Reports - Hook Productivity Forum, which we are investigating.

returning to Curio …

We’ve significantly updated that help page, about Hook & Curio.. Thanks to @georgezengobi for feedback on it.

2 Likes