Opening a web email in a desktop email app via Hook? -- Hook on the web

You know what would be amazing? This is probably impossible and crazy, but…

I use Zapier and IFTTT to turn Gmail messages matching certain criteria into Todoist items and/or Slackbot messages. I always have Zapier or IFTTT include a link to the email in the message or item. However, the link never ever works, because if the message gets moved, or I have multiple Gmail accounts (who doesn’t), the link is no longer valid. Anyway, I really would want that link to open the email in my desktop email client of choice.

So if there was some way to have a Hook on the web create that link to the email, and then open the email in my desktop browser when I click on it in Slack or Todoist on my computer… Wow!

1 Like

Last time I looked into gmail links, they didn’t encode the RFC URL. If they did, then Hook could be adapted to particular domains backed by gmail. i.e., Hook isn’t just adapted to desktop apps, but to web apps.

Hmmm. Here is a message ID from a Gmail message:
Message ID d9a0f499-1a0e-4bd0-9581-3f80d11145e6@fra3s50mta71.xt.local

Does this incorporate the RFC URL, or does it use a proprietary Gmail one?

P.S. This message is an IKEA catalogue ad.

looks like one. Try accessing the same message with Hook in a compatible email app , do Copy Link and compare them. They will probably the same, though Hook may ‘escape’ some characters. (%40 for @)

When I look at emails in gmail (from a web browser) ,their URLs don’t reflect the ID.

In an app like Mail.app you can ‘show headers’ to see the ID of an email.

For future reference , I’ve renamed this from Hook on the web" to Opening a web email in a desktop email app via Hook? – Hook on the web`. I hope that captures the topic…

The topic itself overlaps with something more general in our road map, i.e., for Hook to be able to associate multiple URLs with a resource. Other examples:

• An indexed file in DEVONthink would have a hook://URL and a DEVONthink:// URL
  • A Curio resource would have a Curio:// URL and a hook://URL
  • ditto for Scrivener , EagleFiler:// and many other apps/schemes

then we’d get the best of all words: regular http:// URLs, universal links, app specific links , hook://email, and/or hook://file links (when applicable).

Yes, when I access this message with Hook in Postbox on my Mac, the ID is there. What does this mean for this crazy idea?