Latest LiquidText update has custom URL scheme

The most recent release of LiquidText now has a custom URL scheme with deep bidirectional linking into both PDFs and their workspace. For those unfamiliar with LiquidText, it has very slick internal linking, but has been a data silo. This new update allows what seems to be fairly seamless connection of that internal framework to other apps. I’m only beginning to play with it, but this is potentially a game changer for bringing active reading and markup of PDFs into linked workflows. I look forward to (hopefully not too distant) Hook support of the new capability!

2 Likes

Great news! If they now expose a file-level “copy link” function, then that value could immediately be fed into Hook’s Focus on Link in Clipboard. If so does it include the filename?

Looks like that is in their Pro version, right? Says Connect anything to anything.

We will have a look.

2 Likes

They do have file/project level exposure through “.ltlink” files as well as deep links into PDFs and the workspace. I leave it to you to assess the technical details, but I’m pretty sure that they have all that you need.

I am not certain but I thought that the custom URL is available in all of their versions. Although I agree that the page you linked to seems to indicate that you have to have the Pro version to access the Custom URL scheme.

Their Live subscription service provides live syncing across devices. With the new features you can be working with documents on the iPad and at the same time linking to that work on the Mac. I’m just getting started with it, but have successfully done things like generate a link on the iPad, drop the link into a note, then open the link on the Mac. Going the other way works as well, generating a link on the Mac then using the link to open the LT project on the iPad.

There are a number of us who have been pushing hard about this on the LT boards. To their credit they listened and responded. The philosophy of the internal linking within LT dovetails well with Hook’s focus on contextual computing. I look forward to seeing the kinds of workflows that will emerge from bridging the two.

4 Likes