I suspect I'm doing something wrong regarding deep linking

I have installed skim and have made it my default PDF program.

Just to test things out, I scroll into a PDF somewhere, select some text and highlight it.

I open the hook menu and click: copy link. Then I save and close the pdf.

I paste this into a file. I can easily click it. But when I do, it opens up the document to the first page not to the link.

What am I doing wrong?

I figured out the issue.

This is not trying to link to a piece of text highlighted in yellow on Skim. If I highlight the text before turning it yellow, and after highlighting it, then I hook to it it works fine. After I hook to it I can then make it yellow like a regular highlight should look and the hook still works.

What I have also figured out is that the app Highlights is far more effective for me because I can get my highlights out of it in markdown. I can’t unfortunately hook using deep links.

I have reached out to the developer of Highlights and he said that because he is a one-man shop, blah blah blah. His app does not reflect the fact that he is only a one person shop. He is charging a premium price for it. As much as I like the app, I can see no reason that he can’t make this able to it do deep linking. I am letting my displeasure be known in my app review. It seems to be the only real way to get through.

1 Like

Can you clarify this? Are these the steps?

1. Select the text in SKIM.
  2. Create link in Hook.
  3. Highlight the text in yellow or other color.

Thanks

1 Like

Yes, exactly right. That’s what it takes. If you try to hook to something that you have already highlighted in yellow, it won’t work and will just get a generic link to the pdf itself.

1 Like